Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Like any savvy employee, Leafs general manager Brian Burke wasted no time buttering up his new corporate overlords today in Toronto.
“I’m perfectly willing to listen to what they have to say,” Burke told reporters, as per the Toronto Sun. “If the new owners have some ideas, as soon as they get control of the team, that’s the first meeting I have.
“Maybe there are things we can do better, from a front office standpoint or a scouting standpoint. I’m open. These are very creative, very bright people.”
Don’t know about you, but I’d pay a lot of money to watch a couple of bean counters from BCE or Rogers walk in to Burke’s office and tell him who they like in the upcoming draft.
Burke also had some kind words for the future former owners, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
“If this deal closes and they move on, I would say thank you for this opportunity to run the Leafs,” he said. “They’ve taken a lot of criticism since before I got here and since and I don’t think that’s warranted. All they’ve tried to do is win.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)