Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
Like any savvy employee, Leafs general manager Brian Burke wasted no time buttering up his new corporate overlords today in Toronto.
“I’m perfectly willing to listen to what they have to say,” Burke told reporters, as per the Toronto Sun. “If the new owners have some ideas, as soon as they get control of the team, that’s the first meeting I have.
“Maybe there are things we can do better, from a front office standpoint or a scouting standpoint. I’m open. These are very creative, very bright people.”
Don’t know about you, but I’d pay a lot of money to watch a couple of bean counters from BCE or Rogers walk in to Burke’s office and tell him who they like in the upcoming draft.
Burke also had some kind words for the future former owners, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
“If this deal closes and they move on, I would say thank you for this opportunity to run the Leafs,” he said. “They’ve taken a lot of criticism since before I got here and since and I don’t think that’s warranted. All they’ve tried to do is win.”
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)