Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Like any savvy employee, Leafs general manager Brian Burke wasted no time buttering up his new corporate overlords today in Toronto.
“I’m perfectly willing to listen to what they have to say,” Burke told reporters, as per the Toronto Sun. “If the new owners have some ideas, as soon as they get control of the team, that’s the first meeting I have.
“Maybe there are things we can do better, from a front office standpoint or a scouting standpoint. I’m open. These are very creative, very bright people.”
Don’t know about you, but I’d pay a lot of money to watch a couple of bean counters from BCE or Rogers walk in to Burke’s office and tell him who they like in the upcoming draft.
Burke also had some kind words for the future former owners, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
“If this deal closes and they move on, I would say thank you for this opportunity to run the Leafs,” he said. “They’ve taken a lot of criticism since before I got here and since and I don’t think that’s warranted. All they’ve tried to do is win.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)