Dec 9, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Anisimov’s incredible goal celebration managed to catch the ire of not just Vincent Lecavalier and Steve Stamkos, but also that of his coach John Tortorella. When you get opponents upset that’s one thing, getting John Tortorella displeased with you is something else entirely.
As Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants makes note, Tortorella supports Anisimov, but you know he’s not too pleased.
“You guys all know him, he’s a great kid. I don’t think he realized what would happen in that type of situation and I don’t think that’s planned by him to go that far. I don’t blame Tampa at all, I’d expect our team to do the same thing. It’s a lesson learned pretty quickly.”
If you’re wondering if the league will do anything to punish Anisimov, don’t count on it. The NHL didn’t suspend or fine Arron Asham for his “go to sleep” taunt of Jay Beagle early this season and Beagle wound up injured because of that fight. If anything happens to Anisimov because of this, mark it down as something else to be skeptical about how the NHL punishes players.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 71
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 94
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)