Dec 9, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Anisimov’s incredible goal celebration managed to catch the ire of not just Vincent Lecavalier and Steve Stamkos, but also that of his coach John Tortorella. When you get opponents upset that’s one thing, getting John Tortorella displeased with you is something else entirely.
As Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants makes note, Tortorella supports Anisimov, but you know he’s not too pleased.
“You guys all know him, he’s a great kid. I don’t think he realized what would happen in that type of situation and I don’t think that’s planned by him to go that far. I don’t blame Tampa at all, I’d expect our team to do the same thing. It’s a lesson learned pretty quickly.”
If you’re wondering if the league will do anything to punish Anisimov, don’t count on it. The NHL didn’t suspend or fine Arron Asham for his “go to sleep” taunt of Jay Beagle early this season and Beagle wound up injured because of that fight. If anything happens to Anisimov because of this, mark it down as something else to be skeptical about how the NHL punishes players.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)