Dec 9, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Anisimov’s incredible goal celebration managed to catch the ire of not just Vincent Lecavalier and Steve Stamkos, but also that of his coach John Tortorella. When you get opponents upset that’s one thing, getting John Tortorella displeased with you is something else entirely.
As Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants makes note, Tortorella supports Anisimov, but you know he’s not too pleased.
“You guys all know him, he’s a great kid. I don’t think he realized what would happen in that type of situation and I don’t think that’s planned by him to go that far. I don’t blame Tampa at all, I’d expect our team to do the same thing. It’s a lesson learned pretty quickly.”
If you’re wondering if the league will do anything to punish Anisimov, don’t count on it. The NHL didn’t suspend or fine Arron Asham for his “go to sleep” taunt of Jay Beagle early this season and Beagle wound up injured because of that fight. If anything happens to Anisimov because of this, mark it down as something else to be skeptical about how the NHL punishes players.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35