Dec 9, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
Anisimov’s incredible goal celebration managed to catch the ire of not just Vincent Lecavalier and Steve Stamkos, but also that of his coach John Tortorella. When you get opponents upset that’s one thing, getting John Tortorella displeased with you is something else entirely.
As Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants makes note, Tortorella supports Anisimov, but you know he’s not too pleased.
“You guys all know him, he’s a great kid. I don’t think he realized what would happen in that type of situation and I don’t think that’s planned by him to go that far. I don’t blame Tampa at all, I’d expect our team to do the same thing. It’s a lesson learned pretty quickly.”
If you’re wondering if the league will do anything to punish Anisimov, don’t count on it. The NHL didn’t suspend or fine Arron Asham for his “go to sleep” taunt of Jay Beagle early this season and Beagle wound up injured because of that fight. If anything happens to Anisimov because of this, mark it down as something else to be skeptical about how the NHL punishes players.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)