Anisimov apologizes for gun-shooting celebration

Dec 9, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT

Anisimov Getty

Speaking publicly for the first time since last night’s controversial goal celebration, New York Rangers forward Artem Anisimov apologized to the Tampa Bay Lightning today.

“I didn’t mean something by it. It’s just my celebration and, when I score goals, I want to do something unusual. I apologize to Tampa,” Anisimov said. “I never do that celebration again. It’s a good lesson for me…no more shooting.”

Anisimov claimed the idea for the celebration — pretending his stick was a gun to shoot the opposing team — came from Ilya Gorokhov, his teammate with Yaroslavl of the KHL. (Oddly enough, Gorokhov was a former Rangers draft pick, taken 195th overall at the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.)

“When he scored a goal, every goal he celebrated like this,” said Anisimov. “I watched him and I liked it and I told myself when I play NHL and I score I want to do the same thing.”

PHT related: TSN’s Top-10 goal celebrations

Hey, what’s with Tampa Bay being on the receiving end of these? I forgot Alex Ovechkin‘s “hot stick” routine was also against the Lightning.

1. babar61 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I can understand Tampa Bay not being happy but they got revenge by winning. Anisimov should not apologize about this, it was fun to watch.

• jfive84 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I agree – I don’t see the huge deal. Lecavalier threw a hissy fit and the entire team followed… it’s not that serious, he was just having some fun.

PS – I am a Devils fan and hate the Rangers with a passion.

2. boltsfan777 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It’s okay Mr. Anisimov. You sound like a good guy. I guess it was a problem because you aimed at the goalie. I like seeing the players have fun, since I think every goal is mostly the result of very hard work. Hockey is hard!

I thought it was a pretty cool looking celebration, which appropriately included a pretty cool backward “shoot the duck” skating move, so would it really be a problem if you just fired your hockey gun somewhere else, away from your opponent?

3. bwayblues79 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I posted this on the earlier story, and I’ll say it again here. Artie celebrated his goal in a taunting fashion, the Bolts got pissed, and a scrum broke out. I don’t see anything wrong with what happened on either side, aside from Downie leaving the bench. Halford brings up the Ovechkin “hot stick” thing that I also mentioned. What’s the difference, honestly, between those and Teemu Selanne’s old “toss the glove up and shoot it out of the sky” celebration, someone riding their stick like a pony, or a jump against the glass?

It’s hilarious for the fans of the team scoring, humiliating for the team scored against, and if you don’t like it, take it out on him through some gloved facewashes and hard checks. This is isn’t polo, it’s NHL hockey. The Bolts got back by fighting the Rangers and by winning the game. To bitch about such a small issue on top of that doesn’t speak much for the team’s fortitude.

4. haterzgonahate - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM

kid just wanted to celebrate a goal and now he has to apologize for it? give me a break. Tampa should be apologizing for making a mockery of the league.

what a joke!

5. jpelle82 - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

i think tort’s comments after the game summed it up…young kid made a mistake. good apology

Top 10 NHL Player Searches