Dec 8, 2011, 7:31 AM EDT
We’ve waited all season to see who would be the first player to really test Brendan Shanahan’s nerve with a dirty hit or play, and we might have our answer already.
During the third period of Buffalo’s loss to Philadelphia, Ville Leino got away with an attempt to hit Flyers rookie Matt Read in the head with a rather Matt Cooke-like elbow. Sorry Pens fans, that’s just the description that works best.
Read had the puck at his feet in the zone with his head down when Leino skated past him sticking his elbow out and just missing connecting directly with Read’s head. Leino wasn’t penalized for the play and Read was uninjured by the glancing blow, but the intent to connect with Read’s head was all there.
See for yourself.
If ever there was a hit that fit perfectly under what Shanahan wants eliminated from the game, this is it. That kind of chicken wing elbow to another player’s head is wrong and expect Leino to get suspended merely for the gross intent he had on the play.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)