Dec 8, 2011, 7:31 AM EDT
We’ve waited all season to see who would be the first player to really test Brendan Shanahan’s nerve with a dirty hit or play, and we might have our answer already.
During the third period of Buffalo’s loss to Philadelphia, Ville Leino got away with an attempt to hit Flyers rookie Matt Read in the head with a rather Matt Cooke-like elbow. Sorry Pens fans, that’s just the description that works best.
Read had the puck at his feet in the zone with his head down when Leino skated past him sticking his elbow out and just missing connecting directly with Read’s head. Leino wasn’t penalized for the play and Read was uninjured by the glancing blow, but the intent to connect with Read’s head was all there.
See for yourself.
If ever there was a hit that fit perfectly under what Shanahan wants eliminated from the game, this is it. That kind of chicken wing elbow to another player’s head is wrong and expect Leino to get suspended merely for the gross intent he had on the play.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)