Dec 8, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
Tuesday we profiled a CSN Chicago piece polling various Blackhawks (including Carbomb) about their experiences on Twitter. The author of that piece, Tracey Myers, correctly stated that you can’t write a story about Twitter without talking to Paul “Biznasty” Bissonnette…so that’s exactly what she did for a follow-up article.
“Twitter 101 by @Biznasty2point0” is a step-by-step guide on how NHLers should approach Twitter. If anybody’s qualified to speak on the subject, it’s Bissonnette — he’s accumulated over 187,000 followers and sparked a media firestorm earlier this year by posting a picture of teammate Raffi Torres in a Jay-Z Halloween costume.
So, what pointers does Biz have?
1. Twitter: It ain’t for everyone.
“If you’re [a league star)], do you need another fan saying, ‘You were terrible tonight. No points. Go [screw yourself]’? It’s like, ‘Yeah, OK, buddy; sweet chirp from your basement.’ For some guys, they don’t need that. They have enough going on. For me, I’m a plug and I don’t play much so I can have that distraction where those guys don’t need it.”
Regardless of what you think of Biznasty, his humility is refreshing. How many NHLers would publicly admit to being a plug? Plumber, maybe…but not a plug.
2. Tweeting is more fun in the summer.
“I like it more in the offseason. You’re not in the everyday grind of the season and as far as how the team’s doing, how you’re doing personally. You’re doing more fun stuff then, going on vacations and joking around. The offseason is a good time for Twitter.”
For confirmation of this claim, check out all the pictures Shane O’Brien posted this offseason.
3. There are certain times you shouldn’t be on the Twitter.
“When you’re not playing and stuff, if your team’s not winning, you go on and get scrutinized. People are like, ‘Well, you’re not focused on hockey’ or ‘why don’t you try to get into the lineup?’ I try to separate it.”
Biz forgot to mention “when drunk” as another time you shouldn’t be on the Twitter, though that extends across all social platforms — Facebook, MySpace, Friendster — and really, any device and/or platform that allows you to communicate with others. I know people that have made terrible mistakes writing letters while inebriated. It’s just not safe.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)