Dec 8, 2011, 6:02 PM EDT
New Dallas Stars owner Tom Gagliardi has made his first significant front-office move:
He’s slashing prices!
Starting Friday, the Stars will roll out a new ticket-pricing initiative, affecting most seating areas of American Airlines Center. There are price drops across the board, but one that’s caught everybody’s eye is the introduction of a $9 ticket.
“One of the first things we did as a management team was look at individual ticket prices,” Gaglardi said. “The fans spoke and we listened. We’re pleased that we can now offer a $9 ticket and we feel that these new prices make Stars games more affordable. Our team needs a full building every night to give us a true home-ice advantage.”
Dallas hasn’t experienced much of a home-ice advantage this year. The Stars rank 29th in the league with an average attendance of 11,469 — drastically down from the 17,215 they averaged in 2009-10.
“We want to take advantage of the attention that is on us. The team is performing real well, so eyes are on us,” said Stars team president Jim Lites. “Tom said to me I want to react quickly, I want to do the right thing, what can we do? We studied what other teams have done where there was an ownership change in midseason, including the Texas Rangers in our market a year ago. Chuck Greenberg got a lot of positive feedback and fans by adjusting some prices. In their case it was less tickets and more concessions and parking.
“In our case we are starting with the basic premise of tickets because we need fans.”
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)