Dec 8, 2011, 7:21 PM EST
Busy day for NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. Shortly after suspending Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton indefinitely, Shanny handed down a four-game suspension to Colorado’s Kevin Porter for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth.
Let’s go to the video…
Sounds like two things played a major role: 1) Booth’s injury (he’s out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain) and 2) the distance Porter traveled to make what was a pretty nasty knee-on-knee hit. Speaking of, we mentioned earlier that Shanahan had yet to suspend someone for kneeing — one of the few infractions that hadn’t come across his desk — and his first-ever kneeing punishment was quite severe. Porter’s suspension matches the length of the one given to serial headbutter Patrick Kaleta back on Nov. 2.
Porter will miss games tonight vs. Calgary, Dec. 9 vs. Edmonton, Dec. 13 vs. San Jose and Dec. 15 at San Jose. He will be eligible to return Dec. 17 vs. Washington, but not before forking over $18,378.36 in salary to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)