Dec 8, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
Busy day for NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. Shortly after suspending Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton indefinitely, Shanny handed down a four-game suspension to Colorado’s Kevin Porter for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth.
Let’s go to the video…
Sounds like two things played a major role: 1) Booth’s injury (he’s out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain) and 2) the distance Porter traveled to make what was a pretty nasty knee-on-knee hit. Speaking of, we mentioned earlier that Shanahan had yet to suspend someone for kneeing — one of the few infractions that hadn’t come across his desk — and his first-ever kneeing punishment was quite severe. Porter’s suspension matches the length of the one given to serial headbutter Patrick Kaleta back on Nov. 2.
Porter will miss games tonight vs. Calgary, Dec. 9 vs. Edmonton, Dec. 13 vs. San Jose and Dec. 15 at San Jose. He will be eligible to return Dec. 17 vs. Washington, but not before forking over $18,378.36 in salary to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 59
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)