Dec 8, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
Busy day for NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. Shortly after suspending Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton indefinitely, Shanny handed down a four-game suspension to Colorado’s Kevin Porter for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth.
Let’s go to the video…
Sounds like two things played a major role: 1) Booth’s injury (he’s out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain) and 2) the distance Porter traveled to make what was a pretty nasty knee-on-knee hit. Speaking of, we mentioned earlier that Shanahan had yet to suspend someone for kneeing — one of the few infractions that hadn’t come across his desk — and his first-ever kneeing punishment was quite severe. Porter’s suspension matches the length of the one given to serial headbutter Patrick Kaleta back on Nov. 2.
Porter will miss games tonight vs. Calgary, Dec. 9 vs. Edmonton, Dec. 13 vs. San Jose and Dec. 15 at San Jose. He will be eligible to return Dec. 17 vs. Washington, but not before forking over $18,378.36 in salary to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)