Dec 8, 2011, 7:21 PM EST
Busy day for NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. Shortly after suspending Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton indefinitely, Shanny handed down a four-game suspension to Colorado’s Kevin Porter for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth.
Let’s go to the video…
Sounds like two things played a major role: 1) Booth’s injury (he’s out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain) and 2) the distance Porter traveled to make what was a pretty nasty knee-on-knee hit. Speaking of, we mentioned earlier that Shanahan had yet to suspend someone for kneeing — one of the few infractions that hadn’t come across his desk — and his first-ever kneeing punishment was quite severe. Porter’s suspension matches the length of the one given to serial headbutter Patrick Kaleta back on Nov. 2.
Porter will miss games tonight vs. Calgary, Dec. 9 vs. Edmonton, Dec. 13 vs. San Jose and Dec. 15 at San Jose. He will be eligible to return Dec. 17 vs. Washington, but not before forking over $18,378.36 in salary to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 25
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)