Dec 8, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
Busy day for NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. Shortly after suspending Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton indefinitely, Shanny handed down a four-game suspension to Colorado’s Kevin Porter for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth.
Let’s go to the video…
Sounds like two things played a major role: 1) Booth’s injury (he’s out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain) and 2) the distance Porter traveled to make what was a pretty nasty knee-on-knee hit. Speaking of, we mentioned earlier that Shanahan had yet to suspend someone for kneeing — one of the few infractions that hadn’t come across his desk — and his first-ever kneeing punishment was quite severe. Porter’s suspension matches the length of the one given to serial headbutter Patrick Kaleta back on Nov. 2.
Porter will miss games tonight vs. Calgary, Dec. 9 vs. Edmonton, Dec. 13 vs. San Jose and Dec. 15 at San Jose. He will be eligible to return Dec. 17 vs. Washington, but not before forking over $18,378.36 in salary to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)