Dec 8, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
The numbers don’t lie. Minnesota is one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. Just don’t call the Wild passive. New coach Mike Yeo hates it when people make that assumption.
“Just the word passive really irks me,” Yeo told ESPN. “There’s nothing passive about the way we play. I don’t think teams that are playing against us are going to be under the impression that we’re a passive team. We always have somebody pressuring the puck. We like to do it where we have good structure and we’re protecting certain areas and we’re taking away certain options.”
Minnesota forward Kyle Brodziak concurs, telling Puck Daddy that the team doesn’t get enough credit for playing aggressive hockey. The Wild doesn’t trap, he maintains. That’s just its unshakable reputation.
“It’s a different style than what Jacques Lemaire would be coaching,” said Brodziak. “Mike preaches being aggressive on the forecheck. You look at other teams that are playing more defensively, and I don’t think they’re as aggressive. We’re playing our best when the first guy’s going after the puck as hard as he can. We want to put pressure on teams.”
After 28 games, the Wild is 18-7-3 and first overall in the NHL. Only two teams – Boston (2.04) and St. Louis (2.11) – are surrendering fewer goals per game than Minnesota (2.14).
On the other hand, only five teams are scoring fewer goals per game than the Wild (2.39). Thus, all the tightly-fought contests, like Tuesday’s 2-1 win in San Jose.
In fact, Minnesota hasn’t won by more than two goals since Nov. 8, a 3-0 victory over Calgary. And it’s won 10 times since then.
Sustainable? Let’s hear it in the comments section.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)