Dec 8, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
An NHL spokesman has confirmed Washington Capitals LW Alex Ovechkin won’t be fined or suspended for his spear on Ottawa’s Chris Neil, according to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times.
The incident occurred midway through the second period of Washington’s 5-3 win Wednesday night. Ovechkin, reacting to a hit thrown by Neil, utilized his stick in less-than-gentlemanly fashion and appeared to catch Neil in an uncomfortable place (no, not the back of a Volkswagen.)
“I’m not that kind of player… who would spear someone,” Ovechkin told Sportsnet after the game.
Neil was given a two-minute unsportsmanlike conduct (diving) penalty on the play.
“Almost like a pitchfork right in the gut, so it’s frustrating (there was) no call on the play and I ended up getting the penalty for it,” Neil said afterwards. “We make mistakes out there, too. And so do the refs.”
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 52
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (159)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)