Dec 8, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
An NHL spokesman has confirmed Washington Capitals LW Alex Ovechkin won’t be fined or suspended for his spear on Ottawa’s Chris Neil, according to Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times.
The incident occurred midway through the second period of Washington’s 5-3 win Wednesday night. Ovechkin, reacting to a hit thrown by Neil, utilized his stick in less-than-gentlemanly fashion and appeared to catch Neil in an uncomfortable place (no, not the back of a Volkswagen.)
“I’m not that kind of player… who would spear someone,” Ovechkin told Sportsnet after the game.
Neil was given a two-minute unsportsmanlike conduct (diving) penalty on the play.
“Almost like a pitchfork right in the gut, so it’s frustrating (there was) no call on the play and I ended up getting the penalty for it,” Neil said afterwards. “We make mistakes out there, too. And so do the refs.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)