Dec 8, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
We know that Sidney Crosby is going to be out of action for the Penguins’ next two games, but what was the hit that got Crosby back on the Pens’ watch list? Seems that his collision with teammate Chris Kunitz is the one that everyone has paid attention to, but Mike Colligan of The Hockey Writers found another one that might’ve done the trick.
Colligan points out a battle near the Pittsburgh bench early in the game between Crosby and David Krejci that saw Krejci innocently play the puck and spin to pass it, accidentally catching Crosby right in the face with his elbow.
There’s no ill intent, no purpose to hurt anyone, it was just a hockey play. Not one of those Colin Campbell hockey plays where a guy misses months of action, just your regular run-of-the-mill turn and fire with the puck. Colligan notes that Crosby went right after Krejci later in the period to voice his displeasure.
Here’s video of the play in question.
Crosby stayed in the game after this and later ran into Kunitz making the whole game a bit of a mess for Pittsburgh. With how much the Penguins have riding on Crosby’s health and the nervousness about seeing him sustain another head injury, holding him out of action this weekend makes sense.
Could something as innocuous as this be the sort of thing that undoes all the months of rehab though? Let’s hope not.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)