Dec 8, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
After failing in his first four games as an NHL head coach, Kirk Muller finally got a W. The Carolina Hurricanes beat the Edmonton Oilers 5-3, which stopped the Canes’ overall losing streak at seven.
Sure, it was against a fast but flawed Oilers team. And yes, Edmonton trotted out struggling backup Devan Dubnyk for this game. Muller & Co. probably don’t care about the “Yeah, but …” comments right now, though.
It was a team effort as five different players provided Carolina’s goals and Tomas Kaberle was the only player with a multi-point game thanks to two assists.
Even Cam Ward can build off this performance. Allowing three goals on 25 shots is far from great, but after going through six starts without a victory, Ward will take any win he can get.
Carolina remains the worst team in the East and with 22 points in 30 games played, it’s quite possible that the Anaheim Ducks and Columbus Blue Jackets might push them all the way down to the basement of the NHL.* Still, Carolina’s best years included surprising hot streaks, so this is a reason for some optimism, if nothing else.
* – Anaheim has 21 points with 27 games played while Columbus has 19 pts. in 27 GP.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)