Dec 8, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
After failing in his first four games as an NHL head coach, Kirk Muller finally got a W. The Carolina Hurricanes beat the Edmonton Oilers 5-3, which stopped the Canes’ overall losing streak at seven.
Sure, it was against a fast but flawed Oilers team. And yes, Edmonton trotted out struggling backup Devan Dubnyk for this game. Muller & Co. probably don’t care about the “Yeah, but …” comments right now, though.
It was a team effort as five different players provided Carolina’s goals and Tomas Kaberle was the only player with a multi-point game thanks to two assists.
Even Cam Ward can build off this performance. Allowing three goals on 25 shots is far from great, but after going through six starts without a victory, Ward will take any win he can get.
Carolina remains the worst team in the East and with 22 points in 30 games played, it’s quite possible that the Anaheim Ducks and Columbus Blue Jackets might push them all the way down to the basement of the NHL.* Still, Carolina’s best years included surprising hot streaks, so this is a reason for some optimism, if nothing else.
* – Anaheim has 21 points with 27 games played while Columbus has 19 pts. in 27 GP.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)