Dec 8, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby spoke with pittsburghpenguins.com today, addressing the headache he suffered after Wednesday’s practice and why he’s sitting out tonight’s game against Philadelphia and Saturday’s tilt against the New York Islanders.
“I just want to be smart with this,” Crosby said. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution.
“I’ve taken some good hits over the past few weeks and am happy with the way my body responded … but after discussing things with doctors it was better to make sure I was cautious before returning to play.”
People were keen to hear from Crosby following Dan Bylsma’s morning presser, in which the coach first revealed news about the headache. If there’s an encouraging side of the story, it’s that neither coach nor player (nor GM, Ray Shero) sounded overly concerned with this development — in fact, their precautionary reactions could signify a culture shift in concussion treatment.
Remember, one of the major criticisms of Crosby’s initial injury was returning to the game in which he was believed to be concussed (the 2011 Winter Classic) and then playing in Pittsburgh’s next game (against Tampa Bay.) What we’re seeing now is much more patience and caution being exercised, two things that weren’t always exercised in the past.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)