Dec 8, 2011, 3:08 PM EST
Sidney Crosby spoke with pittsburghpenguins.com today, addressing the headache he suffered after Wednesday’s practice and why he’s sitting out tonight’s game against Philadelphia and Saturday’s tilt against the New York Islanders.
“I just want to be smart with this,” Crosby said. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution.
“I’ve taken some good hits over the past few weeks and am happy with the way my body responded … but after discussing things with doctors it was better to make sure I was cautious before returning to play.”
People were keen to hear from Crosby following Dan Bylsma’s morning presser, in which the coach first revealed news about the headache. If there’s an encouraging side of the story, it’s that neither coach nor player (nor GM, Ray Shero) sounded overly concerned with this development — in fact, their precautionary reactions could signify a culture shift in concussion treatment.
Remember, one of the major criticisms of Crosby’s initial injury was returning to the game in which he was believed to be concussed (the 2011 Winter Classic) and then playing in Pittsburgh’s next game (against Tampa Bay.) What we’re seeing now is much more patience and caution being exercised, two things that weren’t always exercised in the past.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)