Dec 8, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby spoke with pittsburghpenguins.com today, addressing the headache he suffered after Wednesday’s practice and why he’s sitting out tonight’s game against Philadelphia and Saturday’s tilt against the New York Islanders.
“I just want to be smart with this,” Crosby said. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution.
“I’ve taken some good hits over the past few weeks and am happy with the way my body responded … but after discussing things with doctors it was better to make sure I was cautious before returning to play.”
People were keen to hear from Crosby following Dan Bylsma’s morning presser, in which the coach first revealed news about the headache. If there’s an encouraging side of the story, it’s that neither coach nor player (nor GM, Ray Shero) sounded overly concerned with this development — in fact, their precautionary reactions could signify a culture shift in concussion treatment.
Remember, one of the major criticisms of Crosby’s initial injury was returning to the game in which he was believed to be concussed (the 2011 Winter Classic) and then playing in Pittsburgh’s next game (against Tampa Bay.) What we’re seeing now is much more patience and caution being exercised, two things that weren’t always exercised in the past.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)