Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was interviewed on Team 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver. (Click here for the audio.)
Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for Bruce Garrioch’s “the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles” tidbit to come up. When asked to comment on the rumor that was published in last weekend’s Ottawa Sun, Gillis sounded a lot like a guy who doesn’t particularly care for Bruce Garrioch’s work.
“All you have to do is look at the source of that story and you’ll know there’s zero credibility,” said Gillis. “We’re really happy with our goaltending. We have an opportunity to win every night with Cory [Schneider] and with Roberto. “
Gillis also had some strong words for the Colorado Avalanche, specifically with regards to the Avs’ tactics Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.
What kind of tactics was he referring to? Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, Colorado “played a lot like the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup final, hacking, whacking and trying to bully the Canucks. This time, it didn’t work.”
No, it didn’t. The Canucks blew away the Avs, 6-0.
“I don’t know why they wanted to play that way but that’s what they wanted to do,” said Gillis, “and hopefully they’ll do it again, because they’re going to get it handed to them again.”
But wait, didn’t the Bruins successfully bully their way to a championship?
Gillis saw it another way – Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup final because it didn’t take advantage of all the Bruins’ penalties.
“That’s why that series turned out the way it did,” he said.
In the seven games versus Boston, the Canucks went 1-for-33 on the power play. So he’s got a pretty good point.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)