Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was interviewed on Team 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver. (Click here for the audio.)
Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for Bruce Garrioch’s “the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles” tidbit to come up. When asked to comment on the rumor that was published in last weekend’s Ottawa Sun, Gillis sounded a lot like a guy who doesn’t particularly care for Bruce Garrioch’s work.
“All you have to do is look at the source of that story and you’ll know there’s zero credibility,” said Gillis. “We’re really happy with our goaltending. We have an opportunity to win every night with Cory [Schneider] and with Roberto. “
Gillis also had some strong words for the Colorado Avalanche, specifically with regards to the Avs’ tactics Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.
What kind of tactics was he referring to? Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, Colorado “played a lot like the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup final, hacking, whacking and trying to bully the Canucks. This time, it didn’t work.”
No, it didn’t. The Canucks blew away the Avs, 6-0.
“I don’t know why they wanted to play that way but that’s what they wanted to do,” said Gillis, “and hopefully they’ll do it again, because they’re going to get it handed to them again.”
But wait, didn’t the Bruins successfully bully their way to a championship?
Gillis saw it another way – Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup final because it didn’t take advantage of all the Bruins’ penalties.
“That’s why that series turned out the way it did,” he said.
In the seven games versus Boston, the Canucks went 1-for-33 on the power play. So he’s got a pretty good point.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)