Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was interviewed on Team 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver. (Click here for the audio.)
Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for Bruce Garrioch’s “the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles” tidbit to come up. When asked to comment on the rumor that was published in last weekend’s Ottawa Sun, Gillis sounded a lot like a guy who doesn’t particularly care for Bruce Garrioch’s work.
“All you have to do is look at the source of that story and you’ll know there’s zero credibility,” said Gillis. “We’re really happy with our goaltending. We have an opportunity to win every night with Cory [Schneider] and with Roberto. “
Gillis also had some strong words for the Colorado Avalanche, specifically with regards to the Avs’ tactics Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.
What kind of tactics was he referring to? Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, Colorado “played a lot like the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup final, hacking, whacking and trying to bully the Canucks. This time, it didn’t work.”
No, it didn’t. The Canucks blew away the Avs, 6-0.
“I don’t know why they wanted to play that way but that’s what they wanted to do,” said Gillis, “and hopefully they’ll do it again, because they’re going to get it handed to them again.”
But wait, didn’t the Bruins successfully bully their way to a championship?
Gillis saw it another way – Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup final because it didn’t take advantage of all the Bruins’ penalties.
“That’s why that series turned out the way it did,” he said.
In the seven games versus Boston, the Canucks went 1-for-33 on the power play. So he’s got a pretty good point.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)