Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was interviewed on Team 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver. (Click here for the audio.)
Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for Bruce Garrioch’s “the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles” tidbit to come up. When asked to comment on the rumor that was published in last weekend’s Ottawa Sun, Gillis sounded a lot like a guy who doesn’t particularly care for Bruce Garrioch’s work.
“All you have to do is look at the source of that story and you’ll know there’s zero credibility,” said Gillis. “We’re really happy with our goaltending. We have an opportunity to win every night with Cory [Schneider] and with Roberto. “
Gillis also had some strong words for the Colorado Avalanche, specifically with regards to the Avs’ tactics Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.
What kind of tactics was he referring to? Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, Colorado “played a lot like the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup final, hacking, whacking and trying to bully the Canucks. This time, it didn’t work.”
No, it didn’t. The Canucks blew away the Avs, 6-0.
“I don’t know why they wanted to play that way but that’s what they wanted to do,” said Gillis, “and hopefully they’ll do it again, because they’re going to get it handed to them again.”
But wait, didn’t the Bruins successfully bully their way to a championship?
Gillis saw it another way – Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup final because it didn’t take advantage of all the Bruins’ penalties.
“That’s why that series turned out the way it did,” he said.
In the seven games versus Boston, the Canucks went 1-for-33 on the power play. So he’s got a pretty good point.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)