Dec 8, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis was interviewed on Team 1040 radio this morning in Vancouver. (Click here for the audio.)
Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for Bruce Garrioch’s “the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles” tidbit to come up. When asked to comment on the rumor that was published in last weekend’s Ottawa Sun, Gillis sounded a lot like a guy who doesn’t particularly care for Bruce Garrioch’s work.
“All you have to do is look at the source of that story and you’ll know there’s zero credibility,” said Gillis. “We’re really happy with our goaltending. We have an opportunity to win every night with Cory [Schneider] and with Roberto. “
Gillis also had some strong words for the Colorado Avalanche, specifically with regards to the Avs’ tactics Tuesday night at Rogers Arena.
What kind of tactics was he referring to? Well, according to the Vancouver Sun, Colorado “played a lot like the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup final, hacking, whacking and trying to bully the Canucks. This time, it didn’t work.”
No, it didn’t. The Canucks blew away the Avs, 6-0.
“I don’t know why they wanted to play that way but that’s what they wanted to do,” said Gillis, “and hopefully they’ll do it again, because they’re going to get it handed to them again.”
But wait, didn’t the Bruins successfully bully their way to a championship?
Gillis saw it another way – Vancouver lost the Stanley Cup final because it didn’t take advantage of all the Bruins’ penalties.
“That’s why that series turned out the way it did,” he said.
In the seven games versus Boston, the Canucks went 1-for-33 on the power play. So he’s got a pretty good point.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)