Dec 8, 2011, 1:09 PM EDT
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told reporters today that Sidney Crosby — who is being held out of Pittsburgh’s next two games as a precautionary measure — experienced a headache after Wednesday’s practice.
“After practice, he had a slight headache,” Bylsma said at his daily presser. “He knows his body well. It’s been a long 10 months. And as a precautionary [move], he is just kind of taking tonight’s game off and through the weekend.”
Cue the hysteria!
OK, got that out of your system? Good. Now for some perspective…
1) Bylsma said it was a slight headache. And according to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “Crosby participated in an hourlong practice Wednesday and appeared to be at full speed. Afterward, he did a lengthy set of interviews and spoke of playing tonight.” So at the very least, the headache wasn’t severe enough to keep him from conducting his usual media obligations.
Second, Bylsma said the plan was for Crosby to have an off day today and return to work out tomorrow. So, no extended period away from the rink.
Third, all measures taken by the club are still being classified as precautionary. “Sidney took a hard hit during our game against Boston Monday night and wasn’t feeling 100 percent,” Penguins General Manager Ray Shero told the team website. “He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it’s best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution.”
Assuming all goes according to plan, Crosby will return to the lineup Tuesday at home game against Detroit.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)