Dec 8, 2011, 1:09 PM EDT
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told reporters today that Sidney Crosby — who is being held out of Pittsburgh’s next two games as a precautionary measure — experienced a headache after Wednesday’s practice.
“After practice, he had a slight headache,” Bylsma said at his daily presser. “He knows his body well. It’s been a long 10 months. And as a precautionary [move], he is just kind of taking tonight’s game off and through the weekend.”
Cue the hysteria!
OK, got that out of your system? Good. Now for some perspective…
1) Bylsma said it was a slight headache. And according to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “Crosby participated in an hourlong practice Wednesday and appeared to be at full speed. Afterward, he did a lengthy set of interviews and spoke of playing tonight.” So at the very least, the headache wasn’t severe enough to keep him from conducting his usual media obligations.
Second, Bylsma said the plan was for Crosby to have an off day today and return to work out tomorrow. So, no extended period away from the rink.
Third, all measures taken by the club are still being classified as precautionary. “Sidney took a hard hit during our game against Boston Monday night and wasn’t feeling 100 percent,” Penguins General Manager Ray Shero told the team website. “He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it’s best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution.”
Assuming all goes according to plan, Crosby will return to the lineup Tuesday at home game against Detroit.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)