Dec 8, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli and the Bruins signed 2011 first-round pick Dougie Hamilton to a three-year entry level contract on Thursday—and the rich just keep on getting richer. It might not be the most surprising news of the week, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less important for the Boston Bruins’ future.
If you aren’t familiar with Hamilton, you will be. Hamilton was the ninth overall pick in the 2011 draft; one of the picks the Bruins obtained from Toronto in the infamous Phil Kessel trade. Hamilton was regarded as one of the best two-way defensemen available in June’s entry draft and hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down this season. He’s already won OHL Defenseman of the Month honors twice this season and it’s only December. He received an invite to Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp represent in hopes of representing Canada at the World Junior Championships later this month. Things are going well.
It’s no wonder that GM Chiarelli expects the young Hamilton to compete for a spot on the Bruins’ roster next season. The 6’4” blueliner has a huge shot, knows how to play the offensive game, and can use his size in the defensive zone. At 18-years-old, he already looks like he’s ready to make the jump to the NHL. Just wait until he gets another year of season with the Niagara Ice Dogs.
Hamilton celebrated the contract in style tonight. One goal, two assists, three points, and the No. 1 star of the game. Not a bad way to commemorate the contract.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)