Dec 8, 2011, 9:09 AM EST
We’re not going to tell you to stop us if you’ve heard this one before because you’re going to tell us to stop. Isles goalie Rick DiPietro is likely headed for a stint on the IR thanks to a groin issue according to Arthur Staple of Newsday.
It seems cruel to mock DiPietro for continued health issues as he is capable of being a very good goalie when he’s capable of playing. That hasn’t been the case this season, however, as he’s played terribly while watching Al Montoya take the reins as the starter on Long Island. DiPietro’s current injury is made more inconvenient in that Evgeni Nabokov is also banged up leading to Kevin Poulin getting the call from Bridgeport to backup Montoya.
DiPietro gets grief for his forever long contract and being the guy that former Isles GM and NBC maven Mike Milbury traded Roberto Luongo away in favor of. In this case, we’ll just hope that DiPietro can shake things off (again) and be able to play nicely as Montoya’s caddie the rest of the season.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)