Dec 7, 2011, 6:17 PM EDT
The Wednesday Wake-Up Call is where we pick a struggling player and kindly ask him to SNAP OUT OF IT ALREADY. COME ON. YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS!
Jeff Carter, C, Columbus Blue Jackets
Key stats: 3G, 5A, minus-2 in 15 GP
Brough and I saw Carter play in Vancouver last Tuesday. His performance wasn’t so much bad as it was nonchalant — if I had to describe Carter’s interest level in a word, it would be “whatever.” (If I had to choose a sound, it’d be “meh.”)
Yes, he’s coming back from a broken foot and yes, the Blue Jackets are awful. But there are other guys producing, guys like Vinny Prospal (7G-14A-21PTS) and Fedor Tyutin (on pace for a career-high 38 points). The Wiz has been racking up the points as well. Carter, meanwhile, looks like he’s going through the motions, which will be hard to continue given his contract runs through 2093.
Perhaps the most disturbing part of Carter’s game is his poor PP production. A guy that scored 24 times with the man advantage from 2008-10 has just two powerplay points (this despite averaging 4:10 of PP time a game, playing alongside Columbus’ leading scorers in Prospal and Rick Nash.) Yeah, Columbus’ power play stinks — clicking at 12.5 percent, 26th overall — but the BJs get a ton of chances and Carter’s out there for most of them.
So wake up, Jeff Carter. Your team needs you.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)