Dec 7, 2011, 6:17 PM EDT
The Wednesday Wake-Up Call is where we pick a struggling player and kindly ask him to SNAP OUT OF IT ALREADY. COME ON. YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS!
Jeff Carter, C, Columbus Blue Jackets
Key stats: 3G, 5A, minus-2 in 15 GP
Brough and I saw Carter play in Vancouver last Tuesday. His performance wasn’t so much bad as it was nonchalant — if I had to describe Carter’s interest level in a word, it would be “whatever.” (If I had to choose a sound, it’d be “meh.”)
Yes, he’s coming back from a broken foot and yes, the Blue Jackets are awful. But there are other guys producing, guys like Vinny Prospal (7G-14A-21PTS) and Fedor Tyutin (on pace for a career-high 38 points). The Wiz has been racking up the points as well. Carter, meanwhile, looks like he’s going through the motions, which will be hard to continue given his contract runs through 2093.
Perhaps the most disturbing part of Carter’s game is his poor PP production. A guy that scored 24 times with the man advantage from 2008-10 has just two powerplay points (this despite averaging 4:10 of PP time a game, playing alongside Columbus’ leading scorers in Prospal and Rick Nash.) Yeah, Columbus’ power play stinks — clicking at 12.5 percent, 26th overall — but the BJs get a ton of chances and Carter’s out there for most of them.
So wake up, Jeff Carter. Your team needs you.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)