Dec 7, 2011, 9:13 AM EST
Another night and another rotten performance out of a Lightning goalie. Dwayne Roloson has been poor all season and last night it was Mathieu Garon getting torched by the Islanders 5-1. Garon getting as many starts as he is is thanks to Roloson looking every bit of 42 years-old.
The Lightning are currently fourth in the Southeast Division and 10 points behind the Panthers for first. They’re not a playoff team and without solid goaltending and stronger defense in general, they’re going to go from being a game away from the Stanley Cup finals to the draft lottery.
Paging Steve Yzerman, it’s time to make a season-saving trade yet again.
Last season, Yzerman worked his magic on the day of the Winter Classic to land Dwayne Roloson as a last ditch effort to fix the team’s goaltending problems last season. The move paid off as Roloson carried the Lightning to the playoffs and into the Eastern Conference finals.
The problem facing Yzerman this time around is finding a team eager to part ways with a capable goalie. Putting in a call to Vancouver for Cory Schneider (or hey, why not Roberto Luongo?) would likely come at too high of a price. The same could be said if they wanted to take a shot at Kings backup Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers have Scott Clemmensen but he might come at a stiffer price to a rival.
Yzerman’s got to do something because at this rate, the Lightning aren’t going anywhere with the situation as it sits.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 21
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)