Dec 7, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Another night and another rotten performance out of a Lightning goalie. Dwayne Roloson has been poor all season and last night it was Mathieu Garon getting torched by the Islanders 5-1. Garon getting as many starts as he is is thanks to Roloson looking every bit of 42 years-old.
The Lightning are currently fourth in the Southeast Division and 10 points behind the Panthers for first. They’re not a playoff team and without solid goaltending and stronger defense in general, they’re going to go from being a game away from the Stanley Cup finals to the draft lottery.
Paging Steve Yzerman, it’s time to make a season-saving trade yet again.
Last season, Yzerman worked his magic on the day of the Winter Classic to land Dwayne Roloson as a last ditch effort to fix the team’s goaltending problems last season. The move paid off as Roloson carried the Lightning to the playoffs and into the Eastern Conference finals.
The problem facing Yzerman this time around is finding a team eager to part ways with a capable goalie. Putting in a call to Vancouver for Cory Schneider (or hey, why not Roberto Luongo?) would likely come at too high of a price. The same could be said if they wanted to take a shot at Kings backup Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers have Scott Clemmensen but he might come at a stiffer price to a rival.
Yzerman’s got to do something because at this rate, the Lightning aren’t going anywhere with the situation as it sits.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)