Dec 7, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Another night and another rotten performance out of a Lightning goalie. Dwayne Roloson has been poor all season and last night it was Mathieu Garon getting torched by the Islanders 5-1. Garon getting as many starts as he is is thanks to Roloson looking every bit of 42 years-old.
The Lightning are currently fourth in the Southeast Division and 10 points behind the Panthers for first. They’re not a playoff team and without solid goaltending and stronger defense in general, they’re going to go from being a game away from the Stanley Cup finals to the draft lottery.
Paging Steve Yzerman, it’s time to make a season-saving trade yet again.
Last season, Yzerman worked his magic on the day of the Winter Classic to land Dwayne Roloson as a last ditch effort to fix the team’s goaltending problems last season. The move paid off as Roloson carried the Lightning to the playoffs and into the Eastern Conference finals.
The problem facing Yzerman this time around is finding a team eager to part ways with a capable goalie. Putting in a call to Vancouver for Cory Schneider (or hey, why not Roberto Luongo?) would likely come at too high of a price. The same could be said if they wanted to take a shot at Kings backup Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers have Scott Clemmensen but he might come at a stiffer price to a rival.
Yzerman’s got to do something because at this rate, the Lightning aren’t going anywhere with the situation as it sits.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)