Dec 7, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Ed Tait and Adam Wazny of the Winnipeg Free Press alerted us to the latest NHL blood feud: Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov vs. New Jersey’s Patrik Elias.
The two got into it during the third period of Winnipeg’s’ 4-2 win on Saturday, with the 20-year-old Russian chirping the 35-year-old Czech…followed by the 35-year-old Czech feeling disrespected by the 20-year-old Russian.
“He wanted to yap a little bit,” Elias told the Bergen Record. “I’ll take him anytime. He’s way too young to do that. He doesn’t know what’s up yet. I’ll take him anytime.”
[Important fact: Elias has four career fights, the last one coming in 2002.]
Burmistrov countered with, “I think Patrik Elias should stop talking so much.”
The best comments, though, might’ve come from Jets LW Evander Kane, who knows a thing or two about putting veterans in their place. Kane backed Burmistrov and offered some advice to elder NHL statesmen that don’t like the yapping.
“I don’t understand why you can’t do that,” said Kane. “You’ve got veterans shooting their mouths off, so… I’m not going to name names, but I can name 15 guys on their team who were shooting their mouths off. If they’re going to do that they better expect something back, I don’t care how young you are.
“I love what Burmi does, I think it’s great. He doesn’t really take anything from anybody and I like that. I’m the same way. If a veteran guy on another team has a problem with that, I’m not going to cry about it.”
The Jets and Devils next play on Jan. 14 in Winnipeg. As we’re wont to suggest, you should mark it on your calendar.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic