Dec 7, 2011, 1:26 PM EST
Ed Tait and Adam Wazny of the Winnipeg Free Press alerted us to the latest NHL blood feud: Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov vs. New Jersey’s Patrik Elias.
The two got into it during the third period of Winnipeg’s’ 4-2 win on Saturday, with the 20-year-old Russian chirping the 35-year-old Czech…followed by the 35-year-old Czech feeling disrespected by the 20-year-old Russian.
“He wanted to yap a little bit,” Elias told the Bergen Record. “I’ll take him anytime. He’s way too young to do that. He doesn’t know what’s up yet. I’ll take him anytime.”
[Important fact: Elias has four career fights, the last one coming in 2002.]
Burmistrov countered with, “I think Patrik Elias should stop talking so much.”
The best comments, though, might’ve come from Jets LW Evander Kane, who knows a thing or two about putting veterans in their place. Kane backed Burmistrov and offered some advice to elder NHL statesmen that don’t like the yapping.
“I don’t understand why you can’t do that,” said Kane. “You’ve got veterans shooting their mouths off, so… I’m not going to name names, but I can name 15 guys on their team who were shooting their mouths off. If they’re going to do that they better expect something back, I don’t care how young you are.
“I love what Burmi does, I think it’s great. He doesn’t really take anything from anybody and I like that. I’m the same way. If a veteran guy on another team has a problem with that, I’m not going to cry about it.”
The Jets and Devils next play on Jan. 14 in Winnipeg. As we’re wont to suggest, you should mark it on your calendar.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)