Dec 7, 2011, 1:26 PM EST
Ed Tait and Adam Wazny of the Winnipeg Free Press alerted us to the latest NHL blood feud: Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov vs. New Jersey’s Patrik Elias.
The two got into it during the third period of Winnipeg’s’ 4-2 win on Saturday, with the 20-year-old Russian chirping the 35-year-old Czech…followed by the 35-year-old Czech feeling disrespected by the 20-year-old Russian.
“He wanted to yap a little bit,” Elias told the Bergen Record. “I’ll take him anytime. He’s way too young to do that. He doesn’t know what’s up yet. I’ll take him anytime.”
[Important fact: Elias has four career fights, the last one coming in 2002.]
Burmistrov countered with, “I think Patrik Elias should stop talking so much.”
The best comments, though, might’ve come from Jets LW Evander Kane, who knows a thing or two about putting veterans in their place. Kane backed Burmistrov and offered some advice to elder NHL statesmen that don’t like the yapping.
“I don’t understand why you can’t do that,” said Kane. “You’ve got veterans shooting their mouths off, so… I’m not going to name names, but I can name 15 guys on their team who were shooting their mouths off. If they’re going to do that they better expect something back, I don’t care how young you are.
“I love what Burmi does, I think it’s great. He doesn’t really take anything from anybody and I like that. I’m the same way. If a veteran guy on another team has a problem with that, I’m not going to cry about it.”
The Jets and Devils next play on Jan. 14 in Winnipeg. As we’re wont to suggest, you should mark it on your calendar.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)