Dec 7, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Ed Tait and Adam Wazny of the Winnipeg Free Press alerted us to the latest NHL blood feud: Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov vs. New Jersey’s Patrik Elias.
The two got into it during the third period of Winnipeg’s’ 4-2 win on Saturday, with the 20-year-old Russian chirping the 35-year-old Czech…followed by the 35-year-old Czech feeling disrespected by the 20-year-old Russian.
“He wanted to yap a little bit,” Elias told the Bergen Record. “I’ll take him anytime. He’s way too young to do that. He doesn’t know what’s up yet. I’ll take him anytime.”
[Important fact: Elias has four career fights, the last one coming in 2002.]
Burmistrov countered with, “I think Patrik Elias should stop talking so much.”
The best comments, though, might’ve come from Jets LW Evander Kane, who knows a thing or two about putting veterans in their place. Kane backed Burmistrov and offered some advice to elder NHL statesmen that don’t like the yapping.
“I don’t understand why you can’t do that,” said Kane. “You’ve got veterans shooting their mouths off, so… I’m not going to name names, but I can name 15 guys on their team who were shooting their mouths off. If they’re going to do that they better expect something back, I don’t care how young you are.
“I love what Burmi does, I think it’s great. He doesn’t really take anything from anybody and I like that. I’m the same way. If a veteran guy on another team has a problem with that, I’m not going to cry about it.”
The Jets and Devils next play on Jan. 14 in Winnipeg. As we’re wont to suggest, you should mark it on your calendar.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)