Dec 7, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Ed Tait and Adam Wazny of the Winnipeg Free Press alerted us to the latest NHL blood feud: Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov vs. New Jersey’s Patrik Elias.
The two got into it during the third period of Winnipeg’s’ 4-2 win on Saturday, with the 20-year-old Russian chirping the 35-year-old Czech…followed by the 35-year-old Czech feeling disrespected by the 20-year-old Russian.
“He wanted to yap a little bit,” Elias told the Bergen Record. “I’ll take him anytime. He’s way too young to do that. He doesn’t know what’s up yet. I’ll take him anytime.”
[Important fact: Elias has four career fights, the last one coming in 2002.]
Burmistrov countered with, “I think Patrik Elias should stop talking so much.”
The best comments, though, might’ve come from Jets LW Evander Kane, who knows a thing or two about putting veterans in their place. Kane backed Burmistrov and offered some advice to elder NHL statesmen that don’t like the yapping.
“I don’t understand why you can’t do that,” said Kane. “You’ve got veterans shooting their mouths off, so… I’m not going to name names, but I can name 15 guys on their team who were shooting their mouths off. If they’re going to do that they better expect something back, I don’t care how young you are.
“I love what Burmi does, I think it’s great. He doesn’t really take anything from anybody and I like that. I’m the same way. If a veteran guy on another team has a problem with that, I’m not going to cry about it.”
The Jets and Devils next play on Jan. 14 in Winnipeg. As we’re wont to suggest, you should mark it on your calendar.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)