Dec 7, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has confirmed LW Devin Setoguchi is out with a lower-body injury.
And based on Russo’s observations, the injury could be serious.
“Setoguchi looks like he suffered a serious right leg injury,” Russo wrote. “I think knee, but we will see. He was wearing a soft cast on his right leg under his pants after the game, limping badly and being consoled by folks.”
Setoguchi left last night’s 2-1 win over San Jose in the first period and didn’t return to the contest.
In addition, Russo noted Setoguchi had been “limping since the Anaheim game” — the Wild played the Ducks on Sunday — and definitely won’t be in the lineup when Minnesota plays in L.A. tomorrow night. Colton Gillies will draw into the lineup at his replacement.
I’d say losing Setoguchi will hurt the Wild, but I’m not sure anything actually hurts the Wild. They’re tops in the NHL despite a rash of injuries and basically did the business last night with smoke and mirrors. They were without Setoguchi, Marek Zidlicky, Guillaume Latendresse, Justin Faulk and both their regular goalies, Niklas Backstrom (groin) and Josh Harding (who left the game with an injury)…yet still managed to win their fifth straight.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)