Dec 7, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
“[Sauer] was diagnosed with a concussion,” New York coach John Tortorella told reporters today. “I don’t know what grade. He’s day to day.”
It’s a significant loss for the Rangers, who are already being forced to play without big-minute defenseman Marc Staal.
Sauer, 24, has often logged over 20 minutes a night.
“It’s tough,” said Sauer’s defense partner, Michael Del Zotto, as per NorthJersey.com. “We’re missing Marc and he’s such a key component to the team because he plays in all situations. It’s a hole in our backend and nobody’s going to replace him. Now Sauer’s gone, too. It’s an opportunity for guys to step up.”
Little-used Anton Stralman is expected to step in for Sauer.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)