Dec 7, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
“[Sauer] was diagnosed with a concussion,” New York coach John Tortorella told reporters today. “I don’t know what grade. He’s day to day.”
It’s a significant loss for the Rangers, who are already being forced to play without big-minute defenseman Marc Staal.
Sauer, 24, has often logged over 20 minutes a night.
“It’s tough,” said Sauer’s defense partner, Michael Del Zotto, as per NorthJersey.com. “We’re missing Marc and he’s such a key component to the team because he plays in all situations. It’s a hole in our backend and nobody’s going to replace him. Now Sauer’s gone, too. It’s an opportunity for guys to step up.”
Little-used Anton Stralman is expected to step in for Sauer.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)