Dec 7, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators lost a home game last night. Unfortunately for the team that’s in the midst of its most important season in franchise history, losing at home is becoming a nasty habit.
No team in the NHL has fewer home victories than the Preds, who fell to 4-5-3 at Bridgestone Arena with Tuesday’s 3-2 loss to Phoenix.
On the bright side, Nashville is 8-6-1 on the road, one of the better records in the league.
“Right now, we seem to be better road warriors than we are at home,” coach Barry Trotz said, as per The Tennessean. “You want to be at least .500 on the road and then have a pretty good record at home, and that should put you in pretty good standing. But right now, we have to improve our home record.”
According to defenseman Ryan Suter, the problems at home aren’t for lack of support from the faithful.
“We have great fans, they’re loud. It’s an exciting building to play in,” Suter said. “We have to get that swagger back at home and we’ll be fine. You can’t hit the panic button yet.”
Nashville’s only two points out of eighth place in the Western Conference, so Suter’s right – it’s not time to panic yet. But speaking of UFA-to-be Suter, you have to wonder if he’s looking at the standings and wondering if he wants to go through this dogfight every season.
Perhaps Preds fans can take something positive out of Suter’s comments about realignment.
“Instead of going out west twice, we only have to go west one time. You play all the teams in your conference five or six times,” he said. “It’s easier on travel, for sure.”
At the very least, he didn’t say, “I think it’s great. It’ll really cut down on travel for us. All those trips from Detroit to the Pacific Coast really take their toll.”
Nashville is in Columbus Thursday to play the Blue Jackets. After that, it’s four straight at home. (Gulp.)
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)