Dec 7, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
PHT Oddsmaker will be a regular feature where we set pretend odds and pretend to gamble on them. If you’d like to bet real money, meet us in the alley and we’ll talk.
Odds of a Boston-Vancouver Stanley Cup rematch (25/1)
A month ago, these odds would’ve been considerably longer. But both teams have put their sluggish starts in the rearview mirror, and that’s an understatement. Boston is 14-1-1 since opening 3-7-0; Vancouver is 7-1-0 since starting 9-9-1. At last glance, one online bookmaker had the Bruins at 5/1 to win the Eastern Conference and the Canucks at 5/1 to win the Western Conference. Thus, the 25/1 odds they’ll meet in the final. It’s a long shot, but put me down for a few bucks on this one. The Penguins are the only team in the East that might (read: might) be favored to beat the B’s in a series. And who would you favor to take out the Canucks in the West? Detroit? Maybe. Chicago? Not with the goaltending they’re getting now. San Jose? Nope.
Odds Carolina finishes last in the NHL (+250)
At least for the moment, the Hurricanes have to be considered the league’s worst team. Carolina is 3-13-1 in its last 17 games and hasn’t won in over two weeks. Columbus is still in 30th place with 19 points, but the ‘Canes are only one point better. The Blue Jackets are also playing relatively well lately. Long story short, my five contenders to finish last are Carolina, Columbus, NY Islanders, Anaheim and Colorado. And out of that group, I kind of like the ‘Canes at +250. Biggest factor for me is Cam Ward. When he’s not standing on his head (and he’s not) and the defense is playing too soft in front of him (and it is), then it’s pretty hard to keep the puck out of the net (and it’s going in a lot).
Odds Craig Patrick is named general manager of the Blue Jackets by the end of the regular season (+300)
For this to occur, two things would have to happen. First, Scott Howson would have to be fired. Second, Patrick would have to be offered the job. (Obviously.) But in order to answer those questions, we have to guess who pushed for Patrick’s hiring in the first place. Howson says he’s the one who recruited Patrick, but did he recruit Patrick because he wanted to or because ownership persuaded him to? It’s worth noting that Patrick will be working out of Pittsburgh, not Columbus, so it’s not like he’ll be able to secretly meet with ownership every lunch. I think I’ll pass on this one. Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened eventually, but not before the end of the season.
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 6
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 12
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)