Dec 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have lost five of their last six games. If the playoffs started today, they’d be making tee times. Looking to turn things around tonight in Ottawa, there’s reason to believe coach Dale Hunter will reunite the line of Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom.
The trio skated together at practice yesterday, though Hunter wasn’t willing to commit to playing them together tonight.
“Just practice, scrambling the lines around, you never where they end up, though,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “I don’t know how the lines are going to fall. Just threw them in there, scramble ‘em up a bit and see what happens tomorrow.”
Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom has been a dangerous combination in the past. It even has a “best line in the NHL” Facebook page. However, it’s not exactly overflowing with Selke Trophy candidates. Backstrom is the only one of the three that could qualify for two-way status.
“Nick’s a good player. Backsy, he’s offensive; he’s defensive,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Times. “When you have a guy killing penalties and also playing your first power play, you know you’ve got a player that goes at both ends of the ice.”
Reuniting the line might also be Hunter throwing Ovechkin and Semin a bone. You want to score some goals? Here’s your chance. Now go score some goals.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)