Dec 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have lost five of their last six games. If the playoffs started today, they’d be making tee times. Looking to turn things around tonight in Ottawa, there’s reason to believe coach Dale Hunter will reunite the line of Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom.
The trio skated together at practice yesterday, though Hunter wasn’t willing to commit to playing them together tonight.
“Just practice, scrambling the lines around, you never where they end up, though,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “I don’t know how the lines are going to fall. Just threw them in there, scramble ‘em up a bit and see what happens tomorrow.”
Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom has been a dangerous combination in the past. It even has a “best line in the NHL” Facebook page. However, it’s not exactly overflowing with Selke Trophy candidates. Backstrom is the only one of the three that could qualify for two-way status.
“Nick’s a good player. Backsy, he’s offensive; he’s defensive,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Times. “When you have a guy killing penalties and also playing your first power play, you know you’ve got a player that goes at both ends of the ice.”
Reuniting the line might also be Hunter throwing Ovechkin and Semin a bone. You want to score some goals? Here’s your chance. Now go score some goals.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles