Dec 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have lost five of their last six games. If the playoffs started today, they’d be making tee times. Looking to turn things around tonight in Ottawa, there’s reason to believe coach Dale Hunter will reunite the line of Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom.
The trio skated together at practice yesterday, though Hunter wasn’t willing to commit to playing them together tonight.
“Just practice, scrambling the lines around, you never where they end up, though,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “I don’t know how the lines are going to fall. Just threw them in there, scramble ‘em up a bit and see what happens tomorrow.”
Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom has been a dangerous combination in the past. It even has a “best line in the NHL” Facebook page. However, it’s not exactly overflowing with Selke Trophy candidates. Backstrom is the only one of the three that could qualify for two-way status.
“Nick’s a good player. Backsy, he’s offensive; he’s defensive,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Times. “When you have a guy killing penalties and also playing your first power play, you know you’ve got a player that goes at both ends of the ice.”
Reuniting the line might also be Hunter throwing Ovechkin and Semin a bone. You want to score some goals? Here’s your chance. Now go score some goals.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)