Dec 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have lost five of their last six games. If the playoffs started today, they’d be making tee times. Looking to turn things around tonight in Ottawa, there’s reason to believe coach Dale Hunter will reunite the line of Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom.
The trio skated together at practice yesterday, though Hunter wasn’t willing to commit to playing them together tonight.
“Just practice, scrambling the lines around, you never where they end up, though,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “I don’t know how the lines are going to fall. Just threw them in there, scramble ‘em up a bit and see what happens tomorrow.”
Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom has been a dangerous combination in the past. It even has a “best line in the NHL” Facebook page. However, it’s not exactly overflowing with Selke Trophy candidates. Backstrom is the only one of the three that could qualify for two-way status.
“Nick’s a good player. Backsy, he’s offensive; he’s defensive,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Times. “When you have a guy killing penalties and also playing your first power play, you know you’ve got a player that goes at both ends of the ice.”
Reuniting the line might also be Hunter throwing Ovechkin and Semin a bone. You want to score some goals? Here’s your chance. Now go score some goals.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)