Dec 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have lost five of their last six games. If the playoffs started today, they’d be making tee times. Looking to turn things around tonight in Ottawa, there’s reason to believe coach Dale Hunter will reunite the line of Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom.
The trio skated together at practice yesterday, though Hunter wasn’t willing to commit to playing them together tonight.
“Just practice, scrambling the lines around, you never where they end up, though,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “I don’t know how the lines are going to fall. Just threw them in there, scramble ‘em up a bit and see what happens tomorrow.”
Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom has been a dangerous combination in the past. It even has a “best line in the NHL” Facebook page. However, it’s not exactly overflowing with Selke Trophy candidates. Backstrom is the only one of the three that could qualify for two-way status.
“Nick’s a good player. Backsy, he’s offensive; he’s defensive,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Times. “When you have a guy killing penalties and also playing your first power play, you know you’ve got a player that goes at both ends of the ice.”
Reuniting the line might also be Hunter throwing Ovechkin and Semin a bone. You want to score some goals? Here’s your chance. Now go score some goals.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)