Dec 7, 2011, 9:39 PM EST
Their 13-10-4 record isn’t catastrophic, but the Los Angeles Kings might just be the most disappointing team in the NHL so far. They’ve been one of the most top-heavy squads in the league, so Mike Richards‘ injury certainly doesn’t bode well. Rich Hammond provides an update on the Kings’ four banged-up players and the word is that Richards hasn’t skated since getting injured last Thursday.
All Terry Murray had to say was that Richards is “progressing,” although that hasn’t meant much more than some time on an exercise bike. Meanwhile, Willie Mitchell participated in a full practice, Alec Martinez is expected to get back in on practices and Justin Williams isn’t expected to miss a game after hurting his hand.
“I’d be lying if I said there was no frustration in the room,” Kopitar said. “I don’t think we have even come close to playing our best hockey, so we’re still in good shape but we’ve got to turn it around. But it can get frustrating.”
I’ve made this point before, but it’s hard not to wonder if the Kings’ frustrations might dissolve a bit if they open up their system to some extent. Of course, that would likely also subject Jonathan Quick to tougher scoring chances in the Los Angeles end, so maybe it’s more about improving by increments rather than rebooting the whole thing. (Oddly enough, Kings players discussed this topic moments before this post was ready to publish, so check out their comments on Murray’s system.)
Either way, the team will be a lot better with a healthy Richards on the ice, though.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)