Dec 7, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
Their 13-10-4 record isn’t catastrophic, but the Los Angeles Kings might just be the most disappointing team in the NHL so far. They’ve been one of the most top-heavy squads in the league, so Mike Richards‘ injury certainly doesn’t bode well. Rich Hammond provides an update on the Kings’ four banged-up players and the word is that Richards hasn’t skated since getting injured last Thursday.
All Terry Murray had to say was that Richards is “progressing,” although that hasn’t meant much more than some time on an exercise bike. Meanwhile, Willie Mitchell participated in a full practice, Alec Martinez is expected to get back in on practices and Justin Williams isn’t expected to miss a game after hurting his hand.
“I’d be lying if I said there was no frustration in the room,” Kopitar said. “I don’t think we have even come close to playing our best hockey, so we’re still in good shape but we’ve got to turn it around. But it can get frustrating.”
I’ve made this point before, but it’s hard not to wonder if the Kings’ frustrations might dissolve a bit if they open up their system to some extent. Of course, that would likely also subject Jonathan Quick to tougher scoring chances in the Los Angeles end, so maybe it’s more about improving by increments rather than rebooting the whole thing. (Oddly enough, Kings players discussed this topic moments before this post was ready to publish, so check out their comments on Murray’s system.)
Either way, the team will be a lot better with a healthy Richards on the ice, though.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)