Dec 7, 2011, 9:39 PM EST
Their 13-10-4 record isn’t catastrophic, but the Los Angeles Kings might just be the most disappointing team in the NHL so far. They’ve been one of the most top-heavy squads in the league, so Mike Richards‘ injury certainly doesn’t bode well. Rich Hammond provides an update on the Kings’ four banged-up players and the word is that Richards hasn’t skated since getting injured last Thursday.
All Terry Murray had to say was that Richards is “progressing,” although that hasn’t meant much more than some time on an exercise bike. Meanwhile, Willie Mitchell participated in a full practice, Alec Martinez is expected to get back in on practices and Justin Williams isn’t expected to miss a game after hurting his hand.
“I’d be lying if I said there was no frustration in the room,” Kopitar said. “I don’t think we have even come close to playing our best hockey, so we’re still in good shape but we’ve got to turn it around. But it can get frustrating.”
I’ve made this point before, but it’s hard not to wonder if the Kings’ frustrations might dissolve a bit if they open up their system to some extent. Of course, that would likely also subject Jonathan Quick to tougher scoring chances in the Los Angeles end, so maybe it’s more about improving by increments rather than rebooting the whole thing. (Oddly enough, Kings players discussed this topic moments before this post was ready to publish, so check out their comments on Murray’s system.)
Either way, the team will be a lot better with a healthy Richards on the ice, though.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 81
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 91
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 102
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (117)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (102)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (91)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)