Dec 7, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
It seemed like David Booth was finding his footing with the Vancouver Canucks, but he’ll instead find himself on the sidelines following an ugly knee-to-knee hit by Kevin Porter. Dan Murphy reports that Booth will miss 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain.
Booth seemed like he was developing some chemistry with Christopher Higgins and Ryan Kesler on the “American Express Line,” as he scored three points in the game before he was injured. Things aren’t looking up anymore as it appears that Booth and Higgins (foot infection) won’t be able to suit up for the Canucks for some time.
Porter is likely to have a talk with Brendan Shanahan after that hit, so Booth’s lengthy injury won’t help his cause. Officials gave Porter a five-minute major (kneeing) and game misconduct for his actions. Porter recently discussed that check with Mike Chambers of The Denver Post.
“It was an unfortunate play,” Porter said. “I felt I was leading into the hit, and he tried to make a move around me . . . We hit knee-on-knee and he took the worst of it. I hope he’s alright.”
Feel free to discuss the hit in detail here. Check out the video below if you want another look at the check.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)