Dec 7, 2011, 2:04 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have traded enforcer Krys Barch and a sixth-round pick to Florida in exchange for minor-leaguer Jake Hauswirth and a fifth-rounder.
The most notable asset of the lot is the 31-year-old Barch, who had been with the Stars organization since the lockout. His best year in Dallas came in 2008-09, when he played in a career-high 72 games, posting 4G-5A-9PTS.
But hey, let’s get real here — Barch is best known for his fighting prowess and willingness to chuck knuckles with pretty much anybody.
Barch’s most active season was in 2009-10, when he finished with 20 fights — eighth-most in the NHL — and he’s averaged 17 fights per season over the last for years. Many of those fights have become the stuff of YouTube lore, like this one against Dan Carcillo:
Granted, that didn’t end so well for Barch. Here’s a better effort from one of his many bouts with Brad May:
It sounds as though the Panthers have been lacking in the toughness department recently, according to Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel.
“If the Panthers have shown one weakness this season it’s a lack of physical strength especially after Matt Bradley and Scottie Upshall went down,” he writes. “Opposing teams have been trying to neutralize the Panthers speed and skill by pounding them.”
So yeah, pretty clear what Barch is headed to Florida for.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 28
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)