Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 AM EDT
You may not have noticed, but after the Islanders’ 5-1 win over Tampa Bay last night they’ve got 4-0-1 in their last five games. With a point streak like that, the Isles have moved to within four points of New Jersey in the Atlantic Division and the guy they can thank most for it is Al Montoya.
The Islanders headed into this season with a three-headed monster in goal with Montoya, Rick DiPietro, and Evgeni Nabokov. With Nabokov banged up and DiPietro ineffective, Montoya has stepped up huge. His numbers in goal are stunningly great with a goals against just over 2.00 and a save percentage in Tim Thomas territory.
It looks like that three-headed monster is down to just one guy Isles fans have taken to calling the “Big Cubano.”
The Islanders are getting goals to help support Montoya as well and Matt Moulson and John Tavares have stepped up in that regard. Moulson in particular has been pouring in goals at a wild rate with goals in five straight games including a four-goal game against Dallas. While Moulson does the scoring, Tavares and P.A. Parenteau do the assisting.
All of a sudden, the Islanders are looking like the team that we thought we’d see from the get-go this season.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)