Dec 7, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
Last night showed that being a rookie goalie thrust into action can be both rewarding and a kick in the teeth.
In San Jose, the Minnesota Wild were forced to put Matt Hackett to work after Nick Schultz‘s accidental elbow to the head of starter Josh Harding would put him out of action. No problem for Hackett, however, as he wouldn’t allow a goal the rest of the way stopping 29 shots on the way to a 2-1 Wild win.
Being a rookie and being forced to make a debut like that is daunting and can cause most young goalies to melt down. Not so much for Hackett as he’s got NHL bloodlines thanks to his uncle, former NHL starting goalie Jeff Hackett.
As for Carolina’s Mike Murphy, things didn’t go quite as warmly. When Murphy entered the game with 8:58 to play and the Hurricanes down 6-3 all he had to do was to play out the string. Murphy did just that stopping both shots he saw.
While Carolina made it 6-4 thanks to an Eric Staal goal, Murphy would be pulled for the extra skater when Jarome Iginla added the empty net goal to make it 7-4. Murphy went back in only to see Carolina score two very late goals to cut it to 7-6, thus helping Mike Murphy the goalie of record and earning him a loss before allowing a goal. Elias says that’s the first time in NHL history that’s ever happened.
To chalk it up: Matt Hackett allows no goals and earns a win and becomes a Minnesota hero while Mike Murphy doesn’t allow a goal and becomes a footnote in statistical history. Not bad for a pair of first impressions.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)