Dec 6, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
We had you vote on who you thought the winners and losers of realignment last night but there’s one loser worthy of more attention. With how the teams are shuffled about into four new conferences, the one team that loses out especially hard are the Carolina Hurricanes.
Look at what the Hurricanes have now. They’re in a division with Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, and Winnipeg. That would at least give them a punchers chance of battling through the dregs of the Southeast to make a run at a playoff spot.
Now they’re tossed into the remaking of the old Patrick Division. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, New Jersey, Rangers, and Islanders. Sure the Islanders seem weak now, but they’ve been building for the future ever since Garth Snow took over as GM. They’ll be good in short order. Then they’ll have to deal with both Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby along with the Rangers and Flyers as well? Forget about it.
Perhaps this is why Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told CBC’s Elliotte Friedman about his 20-team playoff proposal. Carolina might need the postseason to involve 20 teams to get a shot at it in the future. If Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says it’s going to be hard, you’d better believe it.
It was reported last night that the final vote on realignment had 26 teams vote in support of it and four against it. If the Hurricanes and owner Peter Karmanos weren’t one of the “no” votes on this arrangement, we’d be stunned.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)