Dec 6, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
The captain of the top team in the NHL has at least a point in eight of his last nine games, a vital contribution to the streaking, yet still offensively-challenged, Wild.
Koivu leads Minnesota with 21 points, meaning he’s factored in at least 30 percent of his team’s 69 goals. (That’s ignoring the goals he factored in, but didn’t draw a point on.)
True, Koivu is well compensated for his work, and critics love to complain about the $47-million contract he signed in the summer of 2010. His $6.75-million cap hit is the 22nd highest in the NHL, despite the fact the most points he’s scored in a season is 71 (2009-10).
But Minnesota doesn’t exactly run and gun. If it did, Koivu’s offensive numbers would be better. The 28-year-old Finn has bought in to new coach Mike Yeo’s system and the team’s win-loss record speaks for itself.
Mikko Koivu, everyone.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)