Dec 6, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
The captain of the top team in the NHL has at least a point in eight of his last nine games, a vital contribution to the streaking, yet still offensively-challenged, Wild.
Koivu leads Minnesota with 21 points, meaning he’s factored in at least 30 percent of his team’s 69 goals. (That’s ignoring the goals he factored in, but didn’t draw a point on.)
True, Koivu is well compensated for his work, and critics love to complain about the $47-million contract he signed in the summer of 2010. His $6.75-million cap hit is the 22nd highest in the NHL, despite the fact the most points he’s scored in a season is 71 (2009-10).
But Minnesota doesn’t exactly run and gun. If it did, Koivu’s offensive numbers would be better. The 28-year-old Finn has bought in to new coach Mike Yeo’s system and the team’s win-loss record speaks for itself.
Mikko Koivu, everyone.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)