Dec 6, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
The captain of the top team in the NHL has at least a point in eight of his last nine games, a vital contribution to the streaking, yet still offensively-challenged, Wild.
Koivu leads Minnesota with 21 points, meaning he’s factored in at least 30 percent of his team’s 69 goals. (That’s ignoring the goals he factored in, but didn’t draw a point on.)
True, Koivu is well compensated for his work, and critics love to complain about the $47-million contract he signed in the summer of 2010. His $6.75-million cap hit is the 22nd highest in the NHL, despite the fact the most points he’s scored in a season is 71 (2009-10).
But Minnesota doesn’t exactly run and gun. If it did, Koivu’s offensive numbers would be better. The 28-year-old Finn has bought in to new coach Mike Yeo’s system and the team’s win-loss record speaks for itself.
Mikko Koivu, everyone.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)