Dec 6, 2011, 7:30 AM EST
Seeing the turnaround the St. Louis Blues have made since firing Davis Payne and bringing Ken Hitchcock on board is proof that sometimes a coaching change is just what a team needs to get fixed. Tonight when they face off against the Red Wings in St. Louis (7:30 p.m. ET) it’ll be a match-up of tacticians between Hitchcock and Mike Babcock.
The Blues have gotten better as a team defensively and their starting goalie tonight, Brian Elliott, is a prime example why that’s been great for the team. Elliott is in the middle of the best season of his career and getting to square off against Jimmy Howard for Detroit presents an unexpected face-off between top goalies in the league.
Of course, there’s still a ton of scoring talent between these two teams as well, it’ll just be hard to see them punching through and making it all count against these goalies and defenses. You already know what Detroit brings to the table in Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, and Henrik Zetterberg. They will be without Valtteri Filppula, however, as he suffered a cut to his leg against Colorado on Sunday.
St. Louis brings their own version of thunder with Dan Carcillo‘s new best friend in David Backes as well as T.J. Oshie, Alex Steen, and Kevin Shattenkirk. The Blues aren’t big on scoring, but they’ll beat you best by keeping you off the board – just the way Ken Hitchcock likes it.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 17
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)