Dec 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
When the Boston Bruins took the ice tonight against the Winnipeg Jets tonight, they did so without the services of budding superstar Tyler Seguin. The absence isn’t because of an unreported injury—or any other health problem for that matter. No, according to Bruins’ GM Peter Chiarelli, Seguin was scratched for missing the team breakfast and meeting this morning.
Our apologies for anyone that was depending on 19 in their fantasy leagues tonight.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty talked to Chiarelli who explained that Seguin “didn’t take it well,” but understood that the team rules are there for a reason. The worrisome part for Bruins fans (and the organization) is that this isn’t the first time they’ve had attendance problems with the 19-year-old forward. Sometimes young players just need to be reminded that there are rules in place for each and every guy on the roster. Seguin certainly wouldn’t be the first young players that needed a reminder.
Seguin isn’t the first high profile player that has been sent to the press box as a healthy scratch this season. Alex Semin was a healthy scratch earlier this year because he came down with a horrible case of “the minor penalties.” Tomas Kaberle took a seat in the press box because of his poor play and Derick Brassard has been a healthy scratch multiple times this season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. You may have heard about that story from his agent.
Needless to say, the Bruins hope that they can get Seguin’s attention with tonight’s decision. It’s a young player learning a lesson how to be a professional. But if he misses another meeting or breakfast after today, then there’s a bigger problem to worry about in Boston.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15