Dec 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
When the Boston Bruins took the ice tonight against the Winnipeg Jets tonight, they did so without the services of budding superstar Tyler Seguin. The absence isn’t because of an unreported injury—or any other health problem for that matter. No, according to Bruins’ GM Peter Chiarelli, Seguin was scratched for missing the team breakfast and meeting this morning.
Our apologies for anyone that was depending on 19 in their fantasy leagues tonight.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty talked to Chiarelli who explained that Seguin “didn’t take it well,” but understood that the team rules are there for a reason. The worrisome part for Bruins fans (and the organization) is that this isn’t the first time they’ve had attendance problems with the 19-year-old forward. Sometimes young players just need to be reminded that there are rules in place for each and every guy on the roster. Seguin certainly wouldn’t be the first young players that needed a reminder.
Seguin isn’t the first high profile player that has been sent to the press box as a healthy scratch this season. Alex Semin was a healthy scratch earlier this year because he came down with a horrible case of “the minor penalties.” Tomas Kaberle took a seat in the press box because of his poor play and Derick Brassard has been a healthy scratch multiple times this season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. You may have heard about that story from his agent.
Needless to say, the Bruins hope that they can get Seguin’s attention with tonight’s decision. It’s a young player learning a lesson how to be a professional. But if he misses another meeting or breakfast after today, then there’s a bigger problem to worry about in Boston.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)