Dec 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
When the Boston Bruins took the ice tonight against the Winnipeg Jets tonight, they did so without the services of budding superstar Tyler Seguin. The absence isn’t because of an unreported injury—or any other health problem for that matter. No, according to Bruins’ GM Peter Chiarelli, Seguin was scratched for missing the team breakfast and meeting this morning.
Our apologies for anyone that was depending on 19 in their fantasy leagues tonight.
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty talked to Chiarelli who explained that Seguin “didn’t take it well,” but understood that the team rules are there for a reason. The worrisome part for Bruins fans (and the organization) is that this isn’t the first time they’ve had attendance problems with the 19-year-old forward. Sometimes young players just need to be reminded that there are rules in place for each and every guy on the roster. Seguin certainly wouldn’t be the first young players that needed a reminder.
Seguin isn’t the first high profile player that has been sent to the press box as a healthy scratch this season. Alex Semin was a healthy scratch earlier this year because he came down with a horrible case of “the minor penalties.” Tomas Kaberle took a seat in the press box because of his poor play and Derick Brassard has been a healthy scratch multiple times this season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. You may have heard about that story from his agent.
Needless to say, the Bruins hope that they can get Seguin’s attention with tonight’s decision. It’s a young player learning a lesson how to be a professional. But if he misses another meeting or breakfast after today, then there’s a bigger problem to worry about in Boston.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)