Dec 6, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Not breaking news: The Phoenix Coyotes are still up for sale. Also not breaking news? There doesn’t appear to be anyone eager to buy the team to keep them in Glendale. That isn’t stopping NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly from holding out hope that the situation will change.
Daly tells Dan Rosen of NHL.com that he’s still hopeful that the Coyotes will bring about someone with deep pockets to both buy the team and keep them locked in at Jobing.com Arena. Daly says they’ve got a couple people interested in doing just that.
From the sound of that, it looks like the NHL just wants to have someone that can take the team off the NHL’s hands and get the Coyotes out of the canyon-sized financial hole they’re in.
As it is, Chicago Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and former Sharks vice president Greg Jamison have been mentioned as potentially interested parties.
The Coyotes situation is one that’s not going to get any easier as the league can start looking around at other bids after the start of the new year. That’s not to say that they will, just that the option is there. If this is the Coyotes’ final season in Arizona, expect that things will move lightning fast to sell and relocate the team just the way the league did with the Thrashers over the summer.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)