Dec 6, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Not breaking news: The Phoenix Coyotes are still up for sale. Also not breaking news? There doesn’t appear to be anyone eager to buy the team to keep them in Glendale. That isn’t stopping NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly from holding out hope that the situation will change.
Daly tells Dan Rosen of NHL.com that he’s still hopeful that the Coyotes will bring about someone with deep pockets to both buy the team and keep them locked in at Jobing.com Arena. Daly says they’ve got a couple people interested in doing just that.
From the sound of that, it looks like the NHL just wants to have someone that can take the team off the NHL’s hands and get the Coyotes out of the canyon-sized financial hole they’re in.
As it is, Chicago Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and former Sharks vice president Greg Jamison have been mentioned as potentially interested parties.
The Coyotes situation is one that’s not going to get any easier as the league can start looking around at other bids after the start of the new year. That’s not to say that they will, just that the option is there. If this is the Coyotes’ final season in Arizona, expect that things will move lightning fast to sell and relocate the team just the way the league did with the Thrashers over the summer.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)