Dec 6, 2011, 10:36 AM EDT
The Capitals losing a game 5-4 in a contest that saw them down 5-1 at one point can’t really be seen as a good thing – losses are bad after all and the Caps have had a few too many of them. That said, seeing the Caps bounce back in the third period with a furious rally that just fell short has to be a good thing… Right?
One thing’s for sure is that Brooks Laich wasn’t a fan of his team, saying that getting just 20 minutes of effort isn’t good enough and that just trying hard isn’t going to win them any games. Caps coach Dale Hunter was upset with the penalties they took but was happy with how the team didn’t give up. Talk about baby steps to recovery.
Of course, all isn’t so positive in Washington as Tarik El-Bashir reports. Losses hurt and for the Caps they’re in a world of hurt. They’re behind first place Florida by seven points now and for a team that’s supposed to challenge for the Stanley Cup, that stinks. While guys like Karl Alzner and Mike Knuble are doing their part to pick guys up, they need more.
Hunter will get things figured out eventually in Washington, but it might take a trade to help give him the team he needs to make it happen.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)