Dec 6, 2011, 10:36 AM EDT
The Capitals losing a game 5-4 in a contest that saw them down 5-1 at one point can’t really be seen as a good thing — losses are bad after all and the Caps have had a few too many of them. That said, seeing the Caps bounce back in the third period with a furious rally that just fell short has to be a good thing… Right?
One thing’s for sure is that Brooks Laich wasn’t a fan of his team, saying that getting just 20 minutes of effort isn’t good enough and that just trying hard isn’t going to win them any games. Caps coach Dale Hunter was upset with the penalties they took but was happy with how the team didn’t give up. Talk about baby steps to recovery.
Of course, all isn’t so positive in Washington as Tarik El-Bashir reports. Losses hurt and for the Caps they’re in a world of hurt. They’re behind first place Florida by seven points now and for a team that’s supposed to challenge for the Stanley Cup, that stinks. While guys like Karl Alzner and Mike Knuble are doing their part to pick guys up, they need more.
Hunter will get things figured out eventually in Washington, but it might take a trade to help give him the team he needs to make it happen.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)