Dec 6, 2011, 10:36 AM EDT
The Capitals losing a game 5-4 in a contest that saw them down 5-1 at one point can’t really be seen as a good thing — losses are bad after all and the Caps have had a few too many of them. That said, seeing the Caps bounce back in the third period with a furious rally that just fell short has to be a good thing… Right?
One thing’s for sure is that Brooks Laich wasn’t a fan of his team, saying that getting just 20 minutes of effort isn’t good enough and that just trying hard isn’t going to win them any games. Caps coach Dale Hunter was upset with the penalties they took but was happy with how the team didn’t give up. Talk about baby steps to recovery.
Of course, all isn’t so positive in Washington as Tarik El-Bashir reports. Losses hurt and for the Caps they’re in a world of hurt. They’re behind first place Florida by seven points now and for a team that’s supposed to challenge for the Stanley Cup, that stinks. While guys like Karl Alzner and Mike Knuble are doing their part to pick guys up, they need more.
Hunter will get things figured out eventually in Washington, but it might take a trade to help give him the team he needs to make it happen.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)