Dec 6, 2011, 10:36 AM EDT
The Capitals losing a game 5-4 in a contest that saw them down 5-1 at one point can’t really be seen as a good thing – losses are bad after all and the Caps have had a few too many of them. That said, seeing the Caps bounce back in the third period with a furious rally that just fell short has to be a good thing… Right?
One thing’s for sure is that Brooks Laich wasn’t a fan of his team, saying that getting just 20 minutes of effort isn’t good enough and that just trying hard isn’t going to win them any games. Caps coach Dale Hunter was upset with the penalties they took but was happy with how the team didn’t give up. Talk about baby steps to recovery.
Of course, all isn’t so positive in Washington as Tarik El-Bashir reports. Losses hurt and for the Caps they’re in a world of hurt. They’re behind first place Florida by seven points now and for a team that’s supposed to challenge for the Stanley Cup, that stinks. While guys like Karl Alzner and Mike Knuble are doing their part to pick guys up, they need more.
Hunter will get things figured out eventually in Washington, but it might take a trade to help give him the team he needs to make it happen.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40