Dec 6, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
When we last checked in with John Steigerwald of the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, he was accusing Alex Ovechkin of using performance-enhancing drugs. That was yesterday.
Since then, Steigerwald’s piece has been scrutinized by Deadspin, SB Nation and Yahoo! Puck Daddy writer Ryan Lambert, who conducted the most thorough evisceration — an evisceration that earned him a spot on Steigerwald’s Trib Live Radio show.
The interview aired earlier this afternoon (here’s the audio) and it was contentious right off the hop. The two argued for nearly 30 minutes over a myriad of topics, including Steigerwald’s brother (Paul, the Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play man, who Lambert called “a loathsome homer”), if Ovechkin’s mother was ever on steroids (Steigerwald insinuated she was) and if Sidney Crosby is a vampire (which was either the high or low point, depending on your view).
It was, um, interesting.
Some Twitter reactions from around the hockey world:
Shawn Roarke, NHL.com: “I still can’t put into words the radio interview between Lambert and J. Steigerwald. Holy canoli.”
Adrian Dater, Denver Post: “Interview of the year.”
James Gordon, Ottawa Citizen: “This is just unreal.”
Michael Hurley, NESN.com: “I now know what it would sound like if an Internet commenter hosted a radio show.”
And now, the final (and perhaps most definitive) word on this entire situation…
Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings defenseman: “Every player has been tested for ‘roids multiple times every year since new CBA. Ovi never failed. Argument over.”
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 21
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 33
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 27
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6