Dec 6, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
When we last checked in with John Steigerwald of the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, he was accusing Alex Ovechkin of using performance-enhancing drugs. That was yesterday.
Since then, Steigerwald’s piece has been scrutinized by Deadspin, SB Nation and Yahoo! Puck Daddy writer Ryan Lambert, who conducted the most thorough evisceration — an evisceration that earned him a spot on Steigerwald’s Trib Live Radio show.
The interview aired earlier this afternoon (here’s the audio) and it was contentious right off the hop. The two argued for nearly 30 minutes over a myriad of topics, including Steigerwald’s brother (Paul, the Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play man, who Lambert called “a loathsome homer”), if Ovechkin’s mother was ever on steroids (Steigerwald insinuated she was) and if Sidney Crosby is a vampire (which was either the high or low point, depending on your view).
It was, um, interesting.
Some Twitter reactions from around the hockey world:
Shawn Roarke, NHL.com: “I still can’t put into words the radio interview between Lambert and J. Steigerwald. Holy canoli.”
Adrian Dater, Denver Post: “Interview of the year.”
James Gordon, Ottawa Citizen: “This is just unreal.”
Michael Hurley, NESN.com: “I now know what it would sound like if an Internet commenter hosted a radio show.”
And now, the final (and perhaps most definitive) word on this entire situation…
Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings defenseman: “Every player has been tested for ‘roids multiple times every year since new CBA. Ovi never failed. Argument over.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)