Dec 6, 2011, 4:06 PM EST
When we last checked in with John Steigerwald of the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, he was accusing Alex Ovechkin of using performance-enhancing drugs. That was yesterday.
Since then, Steigerwald’s piece has been scrutinized by Deadspin, SB Nation and Yahoo! Puck Daddy writer Ryan Lambert, who conducted the most thorough evisceration — an evisceration that earned him a spot on Steigerwald’s Trib Live Radio show.
The interview aired earlier this afternoon (here’s the audio) and it was contentious right off the hop. The two argued for nearly 30 minutes over a myriad of topics, including Steigerwald’s brother (Paul, the Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play man, who Lambert called “a loathsome homer”), if Ovechkin’s mother was ever on steroids (Steigerwald insinuated she was) and if Sidney Crosby is a vampire (which was either the high or low point, depending on your view).
It was, um, interesting.
Some Twitter reactions from around the hockey world:
Shawn Roarke, NHL.com: “I still can’t put into words the radio interview between Lambert and J. Steigerwald. Holy canoli.”
Adrian Dater, Denver Post: “Interview of the year.”
James Gordon, Ottawa Citizen: “This is just unreal.”
Michael Hurley, NESN.com: “I now know what it would sound like if an Internet commenter hosted a radio show.”
And now, the final (and perhaps most definitive) word on this entire situation…
Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings defenseman: “Every player has been tested for ‘roids multiple times every year since new CBA. Ovi never failed. Argument over.”
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11