Dec 6, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
When we last checked in with John Steigerwald of the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, he was accusing Alex Ovechkin of using performance-enhancing drugs. That was yesterday.
Since then, Steigerwald’s piece has been scrutinized by Deadspin, SB Nation and Yahoo! Puck Daddy writer Ryan Lambert, who conducted the most thorough evisceration — an evisceration that earned him a spot on Steigerwald’s Trib Live Radio show.
The interview aired earlier this afternoon (here’s the audio) and it was contentious right off the hop. The two argued for nearly 30 minutes over a myriad of topics, including Steigerwald’s brother (Paul, the Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play man, who Lambert called “a loathsome homer”), if Ovechkin’s mother was ever on steroids (Steigerwald insinuated she was) and if Sidney Crosby is a vampire (which was either the high or low point, depending on your view).
It was, um, interesting.
Some Twitter reactions from around the hockey world:
Shawn Roarke, NHL.com: “I still can’t put into words the radio interview between Lambert and J. Steigerwald. Holy canoli.”
Adrian Dater, Denver Post: “Interview of the year.”
James Gordon, Ottawa Citizen: “This is just unreal.”
Michael Hurley, NESN.com: “I now know what it would sound like if an Internet commenter hosted a radio show.”
And now, the final (and perhaps most definitive) word on this entire situation…
Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings defenseman: “Every player has been tested for ‘roids multiple times every year since new CBA. Ovi never failed. Argument over.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)