Dec 6, 2011, 8:07 PM EDT
There have been discussion, negotiations, and even lawsuits over the last few years revolving around the University of North Dakota and their Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. Finally, there is some action to go along with all of the talk.
The school is now taking significant steps to transition away from the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo—a process that will be “substantially completed” by December 31, 2011. The hockey team will continue to wear the same jerseys until February when the new jerseys are available, but around campus the school will take steps to remove the logo and nickname from just about all visible locations.
According to the University, the school is aiming for “several key values” while they transition the nickname and logo. They say they want to show respect, take care, provide inclusiveness, and show transparency as they make the move away from the Fighting Sioux.
That’s politically correct speak for “we’re going to do it and try really hard to not upset anyone in the process.”
After expunging the Fighting Sioux from the campus, the next step will be to settle on a new nickname for the university. It’s a process that the school isn’t even allowed to start working on until January 2012; and it’s a process that won’t be completed overnight. According to the school, “the law stipulates that neither UND nor the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education may adopt a new nickname or logo before January 2015.” Until then, the school will just be known as the University of North Dakota and will use their interlocking ND logo as their primary logo.
It’s been a long time coming, but the Fighting Sioux nickname is finally on its death bed. For anyone that wants jerseys or memorabilia that will soon be “vintage,” you have a couple of months before their licensed dealers will be prohibited from selling merchandise with the Fighting Sioux logo.
At least the fans will still be able to wear whatever they want to games.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 5
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6