Dec 6, 2011, 11:39 AM EST
Montreal fans have been wishing for Scott Gomez to go away ever since he was acquired from the New York Rangers two summers ago. Habs fans’ dreams to have Gomez disappear into the AHL to help make his gigantic $7.357 million cap hit are apparently just pipe dreams.
Francois Gagnon reports (via Marc Antione Godin tweet) that Habs governor Geoff Molson has no intention of demoting Gomez to the AHL and giving the cap strapped Canadiens a break to help them acquire other more useful players.
Let’s just hope that Habs fans haven’t opted to get too sullen about this news. After all, the possibility of trading Gomez with his injury problems and lack of production are virtually impossible. Dumping him in the AHL might be their only recourse (aside from a very expensive buyout), but it appears that Molson is not going to just pile on the cash to pay for more players while one fails to produce.
For what it’s worth, Gomez’s contract runs out at the end of the 2013-14 season. It might be time to order up an extra tall Molson Canadian at Peel Pub after reading that.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)