Dec 6, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT
Montreal fans have been wishing for Scott Gomez to go away ever since he was acquired from the New York Rangers two summers ago. Habs fans’ dreams to have Gomez disappear into the AHL to help make his gigantic $7.357 million cap hit are apparently just pipe dreams.
Francois Gagnon reports (via Marc Antione Godin tweet) that Habs governor Geoff Molson has no intention of demoting Gomez to the AHL and giving the cap strapped Canadiens a break to help them acquire other more useful players.
Let’s just hope that Habs fans haven’t opted to get too sullen about this news. After all, the possibility of trading Gomez with his injury problems and lack of production are virtually impossible. Dumping him in the AHL might be their only recourse (aside from a very expensive buyout), but it appears that Molson is not going to just pile on the cash to pay for more players while one fails to produce.
For what it’s worth, Gomez’s contract runs out at the end of the 2013-14 season. It might be time to order up an extra tall Molson Canadian at Peel Pub after reading that.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)