Dec 6, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
The “Did You Know?” series ties in the news of the day with some little-known hockey factoids and/or trivia. It’ll be fun. Trust me.
The 2003 NHL Entry Draft is regarded as one of the most talented groups of all time. There are others in the mix, like 1979 (Mark Messier, Ray Bourque, Mike Gartner, Glenn Anderson, Michel Goulet) and 1990 (Jaromir Jagr, Martin Brodeur, Keith Tkachuk, Doug Weight, Sergei Zubov) but given the NHL’s current landscape, 2003 is right near the top.
The first round was loaded with stars. It boasts THOMAS VANEK, Stanley Cup winners (Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry), guys that played in and lost Cup Finals (Braydon Coburn, Jeff Carter, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Jeff Tambellini) and then a whole bunch of really good-to-solid players: Brent Burns, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Andrei Kostitsyn, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Brian Boyle and Eric Fehr.
(In fact, you could argue there were only seven first-round busts: Nik Zherdev at No. 5, Hugh Jessiman at No. 12, Robert Nilsson at No. 15, Steve Bernier at No. 16, Marc-Antoine Pouliot at No. 22, Tambellini at No. 27 Shawn Belle at No. 30)
But what sets the 2003 Draft apart is its depth. Let’s go round by round.
In conclusion, pretty solid draft.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 17
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 12
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 63
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)