Dec 6, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Nashville Predators fans are understandably upset that Jordin Tootoo was suspended two games for running over Sabres goalie Ryan Miller. After all, if Milan Lucic can run over Miller and get away with a minor penalty, why can’t Tootoo?
Brendan Shanahan’s explanation hardly assuaged the feeling the Preds got screwed.
“It is the attacking player’s responsibility to make a better effort not to crash directly into the opposing goaltender,” said the NHL’s disciplinarian in punishing Tootoo.
So, wait, why wasn’t Lucic suspended again? Nobody really believes he couldn’t have made a better effort to avoid Miller, do they?
But here’s the thing – the two incidents can’t be compared. Not after Shanahan received new marching orders from the general managers following the Lucic-Miller case.
On Nov. 15, after meeting with the general managers in Toronto, Shanahan told reporters that, “going forward certainly the direction and the conversation of the issue was certainly of a heightened sensitivity to the well-being of our goaltenders. As I’ve said many times, I’m not a policy maker, I’m a policy enforcer.”
And clearly the general managers had come up with a new policy, one that they’d be sharing with their teams.
So while it might not seem fair that Lucic got away with running the goalie and Tootoo didn’t, it’s sort of like the asbestos industry complaining it can’t put asbestos in schools anymore. The rules have changed. Get used to it.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 7
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 36
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on