Dec 6, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports the Blue Jackets declined an offer from Carolina to acquire defenseman Tomas Kaberle and a second-round pick in exchange for disgruntled center Derick Brassard.
Why deny the deal, you ask?
“Kaberle’s play has dropped in recent seasons,” Portzline wrote. “And he’s got two more years at $1 million more than Brassard.
“Simply put: [Jackets GM Scott] Howson thinks he can do better.”
Or, Howson just doesn’t want Kaberle.
It’s too bad the deal didn’t go down, as it’d be a great disaster-for-disaster swap — kinda like trading New Coke for Crystal Pepsi. But knowing Columbus balked gives you an idea of Kaberle’s current market value.
(Translation: It ain’t much.)
Ten months ago, Kaberle’s acquisition price was Joe Colborne, a first-round pick and a second-round pick (because Boston won the Cup.) Five months ago, he signed a three-year, $12.75-million deal with the ‘Canes. Now he’s being turned down for a guy that’s been a healthy scratch seven times (with No. 8 coming tonight) and a second-round pick. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Kaberle gets traded for future considerations, or a bag of day-old bagels.
That said, this isn’t all Kaberle’s fault — some of this falls at the feet of ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford. Generally speaking, the best way to shop a guy isn’t to go on XM Radio and publicly blast him.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)