Dec 6, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports the Blue Jackets declined an offer from Carolina to acquire defenseman Tomas Kaberle and a second-round pick in exchange for disgruntled center Derick Brassard.
Why deny the deal, you ask?
“Kaberle’s play has dropped in recent seasons,” Portzline wrote. “And he’s got two more years at $1 million more than Brassard.
“Simply put: [Jackets GM Scott] Howson thinks he can do better.”
Or, Howson just doesn’t want Kaberle.
It’s too bad the deal didn’t go down, as it’d be a great disaster-for-disaster swap — kinda like trading New Coke for Crystal Pepsi. But knowing Columbus balked gives you an idea of Kaberle’s current market value.
(Translation: It ain’t much.)
Ten months ago, Kaberle’s acquisition price was Joe Colborne, a first-round pick and a second-round pick (because Boston won the Cup.) Five months ago, he signed a three-year, $12.75-million deal with the ‘Canes. Now he’s being turned down for a guy that’s been a healthy scratch seven times (with No. 8 coming tonight) and a second-round pick. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Kaberle gets traded for future considerations, or a bag of day-old bagels.
That said, this isn’t all Kaberle’s fault — some of this falls at the feet of ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford. Generally speaking, the best way to shop a guy isn’t to go on XM Radio and publicly blast him.
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 12
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)