Dec 6, 2011, 5:28 PM EST
Martin Brodeur will start in goal for the New Jersey Devils tonight in Toronto. The 39-year-old is hoping he can get his season back on track soon.
“Teams have scored a lot of goals against me,” Brodeur said, as per NorthJersey.com “That’s something that, hopefully, will change in the near future because we need to win and in this league if you allow more than three goals a game, it’s going to be hard to win hockey games.”
Brodeur is 5-7-0 with a 3.31 goals-against average and .879 save percentage, numbers that have led many to believe his time as an elite NHL goalie is up.
The future Hall of Fame inductee, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is even being asked whether he’d consider playing for a team other than the Devils.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to,” Brodeur said today, as per the Star-Ledger. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
By the way, the Devils have lost four straight by a combined score of 17-7.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)