Dec 6, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur will start in goal for the New Jersey Devils tonight in Toronto. The 39-year-old is hoping he can get his season back on track soon.
“Teams have scored a lot of goals against me,” Brodeur said, as per NorthJersey.com “That’s something that, hopefully, will change in the near future because we need to win and in this league if you allow more than three goals a game, it’s going to be hard to win hockey games.”
Brodeur is 5-7-0 with a 3.31 goals-against average and .879 save percentage, numbers that have led many to believe his time as an elite NHL goalie is up.
The future Hall of Fame inductee, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is even being asked whether he’d consider playing for a team other than the Devils.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to,” Brodeur said today, as per the Star-Ledger. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
By the way, the Devils have lost four straight by a combined score of 17-7.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)