Dec 6, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Anaheim goalie Jonas Hiller sharply criticized his teammates following Sunday’s 5-3 loss to Minnesota. Now he’ll get a talking-to from head coach Bruce Boudreau.
Hiller carved the Ducks after allowing four goals on 35 shots against the Wild, pushing his record to a dismal 6-11-5. That proved to be the boiling point for the (usually) reserved Swiss netminder.
“It looks like we’re there, but we’re not really there,” Hiller told the OC Register. “We’re kind of physically there but probably mentally already in the other zone or, I don’t know, still in the dressing room.”
Hiller also had major issues with Minnesota’s game-winning goal (pictured, right) when Ducks defenseman Luca Sbisa defenended Nick Johnson‘s stick rather than his body, allowing Johnson to get inside position and score.
“I think that’s where you can see why we’re not winning,” Hiller said. “It’s kind of like those guys always seem to get inside…to kind of walk through two guys and suddenly get a two-on-one out of nothing.
“Even though we have guys back, it seems like we’re just too cute.”
When appraised of the comments, Boudreau issued a mild warning to his goaltender.
“If it continues, it would backfire,” he said. “I think he’s a pretty quiet guy. That’s out of character for him so I believe guys would take that to heart. We’ll chat about that.
“He was frustrated. There is a lot of frustration going on right now. Hopefully we can change that.”
Hiller wasn’t the only outspoken Duck following the team’s 18th defeat in 21 games. Defenseman Toni Lydman said his goalie’s criticisms were legitimate and didn’t mind him voicing his opinion.
“Jonas sees everything out there,” Lydman said. “He’s the last guy so he sees what’s going on. I think he has a right to be upset with the way we played the second period.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39