Dec 6, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Anaheim goalie Jonas Hiller sharply criticized his teammates following Sunday’s 5-3 loss to Minnesota. Now he’ll get a talking-to from head coach Bruce Boudreau.
Hiller carved the Ducks after allowing four goals on 35 shots against the Wild, pushing his record to a dismal 6-11-5. That proved to be the boiling point for the (usually) reserved Swiss netminder.
“It looks like we’re there, but we’re not really there,” Hiller told the OC Register. “We’re kind of physically there but probably mentally already in the other zone or, I don’t know, still in the dressing room.”
Hiller also had major issues with Minnesota’s game-winning goal (pictured, right) when Ducks defenseman Luca Sbisa defenended Nick Johnson‘s stick rather than his body, allowing Johnson to get inside position and score.
“I think that’s where you can see why we’re not winning,” Hiller said. “It’s kind of like those guys always seem to get inside…to kind of walk through two guys and suddenly get a two-on-one out of nothing.
“Even though we have guys back, it seems like we’re just too cute.”
When appraised of the comments, Boudreau issued a mild warning to his goaltender.
“If it continues, it would backfire,” he said. “I think he’s a pretty quiet guy. That’s out of character for him so I believe guys would take that to heart. We’ll chat about that.
“He was frustrated. There is a lot of frustration going on right now. Hopefully we can change that.”
Hiller wasn’t the only outspoken Duck following the team’s 18th defeat in 21 games. Defenseman Toni Lydman said his goalie’s criticisms were legitimate and didn’t mind him voicing his opinion.
“Jonas sees everything out there,” Lydman said. “He’s the last guy so he sees what’s going on. I think he has a right to be upset with the way we played the second period.”
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28