Dec 5, 2011, 7:46 AM EST
The Red Wings might have a tough situation to deal with in Valtteri Filppula. Filppula left last night’s 4-2 loss to Colorado in the first period after having his leg cut by an errant skate blade. Filppula was cut just above the boot of his skate and coach Mike Babcock says he was taken to a Denver hospital to be checked out.
Filppula’s play this season has been stellar as he’s put up eight goals and 21 points rebounding from what were two lackluster seasons for the second line center. Filppula is Detroit’s third leading scorer this season and has blended in well alongside Henrik Zetterberg.
If Filppula is hurt enough to put him out of action for a while, Detroit will need to see guys like Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, and Justin Abdelkader to step up in his absence. That might be asking a lot of some of those guys, but with how productive Filppula’s been this year, Detroit needs those points to come from someone. Getting a lot more from Zetterberg wouldn’t be such a bad thing either.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)