Dec 5, 2011, 7:46 AM EST
The Red Wings might have a tough situation to deal with in Valtteri Filppula. Filppula left last night’s 4-2 loss to Colorado in the first period after having his leg cut by an errant skate blade. Filppula was cut just above the boot of his skate and coach Mike Babcock says he was taken to a Denver hospital to be checked out.
Filppula’s play this season has been stellar as he’s put up eight goals and 21 points rebounding from what were two lackluster seasons for the second line center. Filppula is Detroit’s third leading scorer this season and has blended in well alongside Henrik Zetterberg.
If Filppula is hurt enough to put him out of action for a while, Detroit will need to see guys like Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, and Justin Abdelkader to step up in his absence. That might be asking a lot of some of those guys, but with how productive Filppula’s been this year, Detroit needs those points to come from someone. Getting a lot more from Zetterberg wouldn’t be such a bad thing either.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12