Dec 5, 2011, 7:46 AM EDT
The Red Wings might have a tough situation to deal with in Valtteri Filppula. Filppula left last night’s 4-2 loss to Colorado in the first period after having his leg cut by an errant skate blade. Filppula was cut just above the boot of his skate and coach Mike Babcock says he was taken to a Denver hospital to be checked out.
Filppula’s play this season has been stellar as he’s put up eight goals and 21 points rebounding from what were two lackluster seasons for the second line center. Filppula is Detroit’s third leading scorer this season and has blended in well alongside Henrik Zetterberg.
If Filppula is hurt enough to put him out of action for a while, Detroit will need to see guys like Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, and Justin Abdelkader to step up in his absence. That might be asking a lot of some of those guys, but with how productive Filppula’s been this year, Detroit needs those points to come from someone. Getting a lot more from Zetterberg wouldn’t be such a bad thing either.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)