Dec 5, 2011, 7:46 AM EDT
The Red Wings might have a tough situation to deal with in Valtteri Filppula. Filppula left last night’s 4-2 loss to Colorado in the first period after having his leg cut by an errant skate blade. Filppula was cut just above the boot of his skate and coach Mike Babcock says he was taken to a Denver hospital to be checked out.
Filppula’s play this season has been stellar as he’s put up eight goals and 21 points rebounding from what were two lackluster seasons for the second line center. Filppula is Detroit’s third leading scorer this season and has blended in well alongside Henrik Zetterberg.
If Filppula is hurt enough to put him out of action for a while, Detroit will need to see guys like Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, and Justin Abdelkader to step up in his absence. That might be asking a lot of some of those guys, but with how productive Filppula’s been this year, Detroit needs those points to come from someone. Getting a lot more from Zetterberg wouldn’t be such a bad thing either.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)