Dec 5, 2011, 6:07 PM EST
Quick, where’s the closest barn to the Air Canada Centre? Brian Burke might want to rent it after reading the latest column by the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons.
On the heels of the latest dust-up between the Leafs and the local media – this one featured coach Ron Wilson telling reporters Jonas Gustavsson would start Saturday, then starting James Reimer instead, after which Burke leapt to the defense of Wilson, ripping the media in the process – Simmons pulled no punches in his assessment of Burke’s relationship with Toronto’s sports journalists.
The atmosphere in Leaf land between Burke, Wilson to a degree, and the rather enormous press corps which covers the team, has grown more and more poisonous over time. And this is nothing new to Burke, although it’s taken more than three years for this to build to crescendo level here. In Vancouver, when he operated the Canucks he had serious run-ins with well-known columnists and radio talk show hosts, and those relationships, frankly, grew toxic over time.
Already this year, Burke has tangled with many voices of consequence in this market, feuding or cutting off columnists from the local papers for disagreeing with opinions, calling editors to complain about specific writers, questioning their methods of reporting or viewpoints he did not share. Burke is a great believer in freedom of speech — so long as he is doing the speaking.
But this role of president, general manager, sports editor, journalism school professor, bully, and social media activist, has gotten tiresome.
They say you should never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel, but Burke seems to enjoy these little feuds.
PHT definitely enjoys them, so keep it up, everyone. Fight! Fight! Fight!
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)