Dec 5, 2011, 6:07 PM EDT
Quick, where’s the closest barn to the Air Canada Centre? Brian Burke might want to rent it after reading the latest column by the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons.
On the heels of the latest dust-up between the Leafs and the local media – this one featured coach Ron Wilson telling reporters Jonas Gustavsson would start Saturday, then starting James Reimer instead, after which Burke leapt to the defense of Wilson, ripping the media in the process – Simmons pulled no punches in his assessment of Burke’s relationship with Toronto’s sports journalists.
The atmosphere in Leaf land between Burke, Wilson to a degree, and the rather enormous press corps which covers the team, has grown more and more poisonous over time. And this is nothing new to Burke, although it’s taken more than three years for this to build to crescendo level here. In Vancouver, when he operated the Canucks he had serious run-ins with well-known columnists and radio talk show hosts, and those relationships, frankly, grew toxic over time.
Already this year, Burke has tangled with many voices of consequence in this market, feuding or cutting off columnists from the local papers for disagreeing with opinions, calling editors to complain about specific writers, questioning their methods of reporting or viewpoints he did not share. Burke is a great believer in freedom of speech — so long as he is doing the speaking.
But this role of president, general manager, sports editor, journalism school professor, bully, and social media activist, has gotten tiresome.
They say you should never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel, but Burke seems to enjoy these little feuds.
PHT definitely enjoys them, so keep it up, everyone. Fight! Fight! Fight!
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 1
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 94
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (91)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)