Dec 5, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT
A lot of people are taking the blame for Bruce Boudreau getting fired in Washington and now you can add Tomas Vokoun to that list.
Vokoun tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he owns his poor performance for the Capitals and says that if he’d done better that perhaps Boudreau would still be there. That’s quite the guilt problem going around in D.C. but Vokoun’s honesty has to be appreciated.
“I’ll be the first one to say that I didn’t play up to my capabilities, for various reasons, and I’ve got to be better, too,” Vokoun said.
Poor goaltending from both Vokoun and Michal Neuvirth was just one of many problems the Capitals were dealing with. Of course, if Vokoun played up to his lights out ability, the Capitals might have won a few more of those games.
While Vokoun came to Washington on just a one-year deal for less than his market value, he hasn’t played up to his ability. That’s going to have to change if the Caps are going to be serious Cup contenders for Dale Hunter.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)