Dec 5, 2011, 10:20 AM EST
A lot of people are taking the blame for Bruce Boudreau getting fired in Washington and now you can add Tomas Vokoun to that list.
Vokoun tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he owns his poor performance for the Capitals and says that if he’d done better that perhaps Boudreau would still be there. That’s quite the guilt problem going around in D.C. but Vokoun’s honesty has to be appreciated.
“I’ll be the first one to say that I didn’t play up to my capabilities, for various reasons, and I’ve got to be better, too,” Vokoun said.
Poor goaltending from both Vokoun and Michal Neuvirth was just one of many problems the Capitals were dealing with. Of course, if Vokoun played up to his lights out ability, the Capitals might have won a few more of those games.
While Vokoun came to Washington on just a one-year deal for less than his market value, he hasn’t played up to his ability. That’s going to have to change if the Caps are going to be serious Cup contenders for Dale Hunter.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 21
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)