Dec 5, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT
A lot of people are taking the blame for Bruce Boudreau getting fired in Washington and now you can add Tomas Vokoun to that list.
Vokoun tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that he owns his poor performance for the Capitals and says that if he’d done better that perhaps Boudreau would still be there. That’s quite the guilt problem going around in D.C. but Vokoun’s honesty has to be appreciated.
“I’ll be the first one to say that I didn’t play up to my capabilities, for various reasons, and I’ve got to be better, too,” Vokoun said.
Poor goaltending from both Vokoun and Michal Neuvirth was just one of many problems the Capitals were dealing with. Of course, if Vokoun played up to his lights out ability, the Capitals might have won a few more of those games.
While Vokoun came to Washington on just a one-year deal for less than his market value, he hasn’t played up to his ability. That’s going to have to change if the Caps are going to be serious Cup contenders for Dale Hunter.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)