Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ron Wilson’s pants are on fire. Because, you see, he’s a liar.
That’s what the Toronto media is saying after the Leafs’ coach told reporters Friday he was starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson Saturday in Boston, then went ahead and started James Reimer. And while a coach is free to change his mind, when asked when he made the decision to start Reimer, he said, “about three days ago.”
Lovable scamp that he is, Wilson decided to have some fun with the whole incident, tweeting, “Favorite movies: Liar,Liar; The Invention of Lying; Big Fat Liar. HaHa!”
But did Wilson really lie?
Not according to general manager Brian Burke, who tweeted late Sunday night, “Our coach told the media the starter. He told me as well. James says he feels good and our coach makes the switch. Making a goalie switch is not just our coach’s prerogative, it is his duty. And of course, the media grand jury weighs in.”
Burke wasn’t done, tweeting, “I love the quote about the liars in sports. Many gainfully employed in the media.” (Not sure which quote he was referring to, but you get the point.)
At least one member of the Toronto media isn’t impressed with the Leafs, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Boston Bruins.
“Even better than the lies are the over-compensating explanations afterwards. As previously said, these guys are consumed with the media,” tweeted the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox. “You might think after having their asses handed to them twice by the champs they’d have more pressing matters on their minds. Guess not.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)