Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ron Wilson’s pants are on fire. Because, you see, he’s a liar.
That’s what the Toronto media is saying after the Leafs’ coach told reporters Friday he was starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson Saturday in Boston, then went ahead and started James Reimer. And while a coach is free to change his mind, when asked when he made the decision to start Reimer, he said, “about three days ago.”
Lovable scamp that he is, Wilson decided to have some fun with the whole incident, tweeting, “Favorite movies: Liar,Liar; The Invention of Lying; Big Fat Liar. HaHa!”
But did Wilson really lie?
Not according to general manager Brian Burke, who tweeted late Sunday night, “Our coach told the media the starter. He told me as well. James says he feels good and our coach makes the switch. Making a goalie switch is not just our coach’s prerogative, it is his duty. And of course, the media grand jury weighs in.”
Burke wasn’t done, tweeting, “I love the quote about the liars in sports. Many gainfully employed in the media.” (Not sure which quote he was referring to, but you get the point.)
At least one member of the Toronto media isn’t impressed with the Leafs, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Boston Bruins.
“Even better than the lies are the over-compensating explanations afterwards. As previously said, these guys are consumed with the media,” tweeted the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox. “You might think after having their asses handed to them twice by the champs they’d have more pressing matters on their minds. Guess not.”
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20