Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ron Wilson’s pants are on fire. Because, you see, he’s a liar.
That’s what the Toronto media is saying after the Leafs’ coach told reporters Friday he was starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson Saturday in Boston, then went ahead and started James Reimer. And while a coach is free to change his mind, when asked when he made the decision to start Reimer, he said, “about three days ago.”
Lovable scamp that he is, Wilson decided to have some fun with the whole incident, tweeting, “Favorite movies: Liar,Liar; The Invention of Lying; Big Fat Liar. HaHa!”
But did Wilson really lie?
Not according to general manager Brian Burke, who tweeted late Sunday night, “Our coach told the media the starter. He told me as well. James says he feels good and our coach makes the switch. Making a goalie switch is not just our coach’s prerogative, it is his duty. And of course, the media grand jury weighs in.”
Burke wasn’t done, tweeting, “I love the quote about the liars in sports. Many gainfully employed in the media.” (Not sure which quote he was referring to, but you get the point.)
At least one member of the Toronto media isn’t impressed with the Leafs, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Boston Bruins.
“Even better than the lies are the over-compensating explanations afterwards. As previously said, these guys are consumed with the media,” tweeted the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox. “You might think after having their asses handed to them twice by the champs they’d have more pressing matters on their minds. Guess not.”
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12