Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ron Wilson’s pants are on fire. Because, you see, he’s a liar.
That’s what the Toronto media is saying after the Leafs’ coach told reporters Friday he was starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson Saturday in Boston, then went ahead and started James Reimer. And while a coach is free to change his mind, when asked when he made the decision to start Reimer, he said, “about three days ago.”
Lovable scamp that he is, Wilson decided to have some fun with the whole incident, tweeting, “Favorite movies: Liar,Liar; The Invention of Lying; Big Fat Liar. HaHa!”
But did Wilson really lie?
Not according to general manager Brian Burke, who tweeted late Sunday night, “Our coach told the media the starter. He told me as well. James says he feels good and our coach makes the switch. Making a goalie switch is not just our coach’s prerogative, it is his duty. And of course, the media grand jury weighs in.”
Burke wasn’t done, tweeting, “I love the quote about the liars in sports. Many gainfully employed in the media.” (Not sure which quote he was referring to, but you get the point.)
At least one member of the Toronto media isn’t impressed with the Leafs, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Boston Bruins.
“Even better than the lies are the over-compensating explanations afterwards. As previously said, these guys are consumed with the media,” tweeted the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox. “You might think after having their asses handed to them twice by the champs they’d have more pressing matters on their minds. Guess not.”
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)