Dec 5, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ron Wilson’s pants are on fire. Because, you see, he’s a liar.
That’s what the Toronto media is saying after the Leafs’ coach told reporters Friday he was starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson Saturday in Boston, then went ahead and started James Reimer. And while a coach is free to change his mind, when asked when he made the decision to start Reimer, he said, “about three days ago.”
Lovable scamp that he is, Wilson decided to have some fun with the whole incident, tweeting, “Favorite movies: Liar,Liar; The Invention of Lying; Big Fat Liar. HaHa!”
But did Wilson really lie?
Not according to general manager Brian Burke, who tweeted late Sunday night, “Our coach told the media the starter. He told me as well. James says he feels good and our coach makes the switch. Making a goalie switch is not just our coach’s prerogative, it is his duty. And of course, the media grand jury weighs in.”
Burke wasn’t done, tweeting, “I love the quote about the liars in sports. Many gainfully employed in the media.” (Not sure which quote he was referring to, but you get the point.)
At least one member of the Toronto media isn’t impressed with the Leafs, who are coming off back-to-back losses to the Boston Bruins.
“Even better than the lies are the over-compensating explanations afterwards. As previously said, these guys are consumed with the media,” tweeted the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox. “You might think after having their asses handed to them twice by the champs they’d have more pressing matters on their minds. Guess not.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (141)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)