Dec 5, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
League disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan says the NHL did nothing of the sort.
That’s the crux of the “war of words” between Pacioretty and Shanahan, according to the Canadian Press.
“We didn’t bring it up, (Shanahan) brought it up,” said Pacioretty while explaining what was said during his disciplinarian hearing. “You can ask my agent (Alec Schall). He was on the phone. Ask the GM (Pierre Gauthier). It happened.”
Pacioretty was suspended three games for checking Letang in the head, but Shanahan says the Cooke-on-Savard hit wasn’t used as a comparable during the hearing.
“I said very clearly, I am not comparing it to Cooke-Savard,” Shanahan said last week on TSN Radio 990 in Montreal.
Anyway, the story isn’t really about the Pacioretty-Letang incident versus the Cooke-Savard one. It’s more about whether a comparison was actually made. But for the record, here are the two hits:
Pacioretty thinks there’s a clear difference between the hits.
“Savard’s a lefty coming across. He has no idea Cooke’s coming from the other side of the ice,” he said.
Letang, on the other hand, saw the hit coming, according to Pacioretty.
Hey, remember when everyone was falling over themselves to pat Shanahan on the back for his tough-on-crime rulings? Yeah, those days are done.
“They’re doing the best they can to crack down, but it’s not consistent,” said Pacioretty.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)