Dec 5, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
League disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan says the NHL did nothing of the sort.
That’s the crux of the “war of words” between Pacioretty and Shanahan, according to the Canadian Press.
“We didn’t bring it up, (Shanahan) brought it up,” said Pacioretty while explaining what was said during his disciplinarian hearing. “You can ask my agent (Alec Schall). He was on the phone. Ask the GM (Pierre Gauthier). It happened.”
Pacioretty was suspended three games for checking Letang in the head, but Shanahan says the Cooke-on-Savard hit wasn’t used as a comparable during the hearing.
“I said very clearly, I am not comparing it to Cooke-Savard,” Shanahan said last week on TSN Radio 990 in Montreal.
Anyway, the story isn’t really about the Pacioretty-Letang incident versus the Cooke-Savard one. It’s more about whether a comparison was actually made. But for the record, here are the two hits:
Pacioretty thinks there’s a clear difference between the hits.
“Savard’s a lefty coming across. He has no idea Cooke’s coming from the other side of the ice,” he said.
Letang, on the other hand, saw the hit coming, according to Pacioretty.
Hey, remember when everyone was falling over themselves to pat Shanahan on the back for his tough-on-crime rulings? Yeah, those days are done.
“They’re doing the best they can to crack down, but it’s not consistent,” said Pacioretty.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)