Dec 5, 2011, 12:29 PM EST
The inevitable news facing Kris Letang was confirmed this morning by the Penguins. Letang is out with a concussion and was placed on injured reserve by the team. Joining him on the shelf with a concussion is Zbynek Michalek.
The bigger story here is with Letang as he was knocked to the ice with at least a broken nose by Montreal’s Max Pacioretty courtesy of a shoulder to the head. Pacioretty wound up receiving a three-game suspension because of the hit leading to outrage from Canadiens fans and Pacioretty himself. Now they might be thinking he got off easy.
Letang, of course, was allowed to return to the game after getting hit and wound up scoring the game-winning goal in overtime. Letang hasn’t played since that game and the concussion is the reason why.
We’re not about to go pointing fingers at the Penguins medical staff here, but perhaps putting the “quiet room” to better use might be considered next time a player has taken an obvious blow to the head. Now the Pens are without two of their top defensemen for an undetermined amount of time. The Pens are used to injury trouble by now but even this might be a bit much to handle.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 0
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 5
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 54
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)