Dec 5, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
The inevitable news facing Kris Letang was confirmed this morning by the Penguins. Letang is out with a concussion and was placed on injured reserve by the team. Joining him on the shelf with a concussion is Zbynek Michalek.
The bigger story here is with Letang as he was knocked to the ice with at least a broken nose by Montreal’s Max Pacioretty courtesy of a shoulder to the head. Pacioretty wound up receiving a three-game suspension because of the hit leading to outrage from Canadiens fans and Pacioretty himself. Now they might be thinking he got off easy.
Letang, of course, was allowed to return to the game after getting hit and wound up scoring the game-winning goal in overtime. Letang hasn’t played since that game and the concussion is the reason why.
We’re not about to go pointing fingers at the Penguins medical staff here, but perhaps putting the “quiet room” to better use might be considered next time a player has taken an obvious blow to the head. Now the Pens are without two of their top defensemen for an undetermined amount of time. The Pens are used to injury trouble by now but even this might be a bit much to handle.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)