Dec 5, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are experiencing a more successful first quarter of games than last season’s edition, but Corey Crawford isn’t the main reason why. Crawford received a nice three-year contract extension in the off-season, but his first year as a well-paid No. 1 goalie hasn’t gone well. Crawford was pulled for the second time in three games tonight after allowing three goals on 16 shots.
Crawford yielded 11 goals in about seven periods of hockey. While his record is a nice 12-7-2 (and will remain that way), he’s clearly leaning on some of the best goal support in the NHL. He came into tonight’s Versus clash against the Phoenix Coyotes with paltry numbers (.899 save percentage and a 2.91 GAA) and those figures will only get more depressing.
Right now, it’s a worry that’s brimming under the surface, as the team has the top-end talent to get over those problems. (Just look at the game right now; Chicago just entered overtime as they rallied back to tie the game 3-3.) If this keeps up, you couldn’t blame Blackhawks brass if “legitimate top goalie” is on the top of their wish lists during the trade deadline, though.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)