Dec 5, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are experiencing a more successful first quarter of games than last season’s edition, but Corey Crawford isn’t the main reason why. Crawford received a nice three-year contract extension in the off-season, but his first year as a well-paid No. 1 goalie hasn’t gone well. Crawford was pulled for the second time in three games tonight after allowing three goals on 16 shots.
Crawford yielded 11 goals in about seven periods of hockey. While his record is a nice 12-7-2 (and will remain that way), he’s clearly leaning on some of the best goal support in the NHL. He came into tonight’s Versus clash against the Phoenix Coyotes with paltry numbers (.899 save percentage and a 2.91 GAA) and those figures will only get more depressing.
Right now, it’s a worry that’s brimming under the surface, as the team has the top-end talent to get over those problems. (Just look at the game right now; Chicago just entered overtime as they rallied back to tie the game 3-3.) If this keeps up, you couldn’t blame Blackhawks brass if “legitimate top goalie” is on the top of their wish lists during the trade deadline, though.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 0
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 1
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 4
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)